Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Need proof of usage

hi, for my insurance claim as i lost my phone they are asking for proof of usage. 

Is there a way to get this document asap please? or if you're unable to provide please send me an email explaining this.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need proof of usage

Would they not accept a printout/copy of your bill with the calls showing?
Imo that would be ‘proof of usage’.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello zeeuk

Thank you for contacting us via the forum with your query and welcome to the community.

As Anankha has alluded to you can proof of usage via the bills available in your online account. Have the insurance company advised exactly what they require as usage we record is from the SIM which could be in any device.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This is what they have said... so bills are not allowed

Please provide proof from your network provider showing the usage of your insured device. The documentation provided must show the dates of when the device was first and last used, details of the time of use and your IMEI number.

We are unable to accept mobile phone bills as evidence of proof of identification and usage.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

We don't record any usage from the device zeeuk, we can only record usage via the SIM card, if you still have the original invoice from the point of sale this should have the IMEI on it and proof the handset was purchased from ourselves.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

i did not buy it from Virgin Mobile i got it sim free from carphone warehouse.

Im sure VM knows which phones the sim has been in? Every other network does, when i used to be with Three, whether or not i bought it from them they knew the IMEI of the phones their sims were put in.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry zeeuk, We cannot produce proof that a sim card was used in a specific device. I am sorry.

Joe_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Tbh it still doesn’t make sense to me. They want proof of use but don’t accept a bill.
I suppose they’re after something more detailed. I can only think they believe the sim provider (Virginmedia) can access this.
Unless you have the original box or receipt then there’s no other way to show the IMEI. You could ask Carphone Warehouse to see if they can provide a copy but I suspect not.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yeah I'm confused as well.

In the past, mentioning the magic words "subject access request" (sar) has done the trick with virgin mobile. 

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'm seeing two possible lines of thought here..

1: From the network side, the device/SIM combination is stored against CDRs (Call Data Records) whenever calls or texts are made BUT... that level of detail is superfluous the vast majority of the time, so access to it is naturally restricted to teams that have a genuine need for it. Some of those needs are on the MNO-side, and therefore Virgin potentially wouldn't have it.. EE would.

2: From an insurance side, it sounds very much like the provider is putting (at best) extra steps or (at worst) deliberately obstructive requirements inplace. I can see their point that if you're claiming on *device* insurance, that they want proof the *device* was being used until a certain date... but equally all this would prove is past use. It certainly wouldn't do anything to prevent you stop using the phone, put it in a drawer and then claim on it.

I'd agree that going down the SAR route is probably the best - though you are potentially going to get information overload.

0 Kudos