cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Oomph to Volt nightmare

Nialli
Superfast

Virgin Oomph to Volt experience

I've kept a record of my calls with Virgin and O2 during the whole debacle. Anyone else experienced anything like this? Virgin Mobile and O2 staff working in complete isolation.

• December 14th Agreed to new 18 month Virgin Volt deal - £85/m plus an unlimited O2 SIM for £25/m. I ask to stay on Virgin Mobile as the O2 coverage in London SE10 is poor but I'm told that's impossible and I have to move to O2, assured that there are no coverage issues with 4G in London SE10
  • O2 SIM arrives and I port my mobile number from my VM SIM to O2
  • O2 coverage in West Greenwich really is unusable. I run several speed tests over a number of days and in various locations in a three-mile radius of my home. I’m getting a 3G service with downloads of less than 1Mbps, sometimes no signal at all. We live in London SE10, six miles from Central London. When I raise this with O2 on Twitter I am informed:

Okay, from the info you've sent over it sounds like this is the available level of service in the area. We can assure you that we're busy building a faster network with more capacity. We're investing £2million daily to upgrade and create a network that monitors and tweaks your experience in real-time.

I’m also told there’s no plan for 5G in the area. It's the final straw. I'm now expected to pay £15/m more than I did for Oomph but the mobile service is twentieth century speeds.

• December 21st I call Virgin to cancel both my VM Volt deal and the O2 SIM as it not what I was promised. They arrange for me to be supplied with a new unlimited VM SIM to replace the O2 one. I am advised to request a PAC code from O2. I'm assured that when the number is transferred and I will not receive any additional charges from O2.
  • December 30th I get a PAC code text from O2:

Here's your PAC.It expires on 2022-01-28. We hope you don't decide to switch today, but if you do we've estimated you'll have £415.78 of charges.

• January 10th I receive a bill from O2 for £27.61. I’m unable to view the itemised bill as there’s “a problem with my account details”. Try calling the O2 helpline several times but the calls don’t connect.
  • January 12th I receive a bill from Virgin Mobile for £45.01
    • I call Virgin Mobile. The woman tells me to ignore the VM bill, which should be just £10 
    • She takes my PAC number and says that the number switch will happen in the next three to five days
    • I ask about the £415 bill O2 are threatening. She tells me this will not happen and I shouldn’t worry. When I say I’m still concerned she says she will transfer me to O2 for confirmation but, after 20 minutes on hold, the line disconnects
  • January 13th My O2 SIM stops at midday and my personal number is on my Virgin Mobile SIM. Disappointed with the VM/Vodafone speeds but far better than O2
  • January 26th VM text me that my Virgin Mobile Direct Debit has been cancelled and the SIM will cease to work. The DD hasn’t been cancelled – it’s never been set up as far as I know. I check my bank account and see an O2 payment for £27.61 on Jan 24th
  • I call Virgin Mobile. The guy tells me there’s £10 outstanding on my account. I give him my card details and he takes the payment. He then reinstates my Direct Debit instruction but he can’t help with the O2 billing.
  • I ring O2. Guy checks the account and sees that the bill was generated on Jan 10 but the PAC transfer back to VM wasn’t until the 13th. He says that I’ll be refunded and O2 will call or text for my bank details in the next few days to settle.

It's not impressive. I've been a customer since the mid-90s but when this contract's up in 18 month I'm not sure I'll be up for any more of this time-consuming nonsense!

11 REPLIES 11

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Nialli, 

Thank you for your post. 

Upon reading what you have posted/advised - at this point I can only apologise for the whole experience. I know that doesn't make up for what you've done in terms of time and effort spent with this. I can only appreciate how frustrated you must be. 

From the bottom of your post I have an understanding that it's being resolved as we speak. I can only assure you that the team will be looking to put this right. 

Can you please keep me informed as to when you've had some contact from them. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thanks Ryan. 

Nialli
Superfast

The infuriating thing for me is being required to move mobile service to O2 before the customer services were integrated. I have led global mergers and acquisition projects for many years and the golden rule is never, ever inconvenience the customers. You must establish processes and procedures before going live. Virgin Media O2 has failed to do that and has slapped on an unwelcome price hike at the same time. As a professional in that game I see two companies failing M&A 101. As a customer I just experience the pain and inconvenience of days on the phone and incorrect billing

Sadly, my saga goes on. This morning I get an email from O2:

Nialli_0-1643287744299.png

I call O2. Speak to a lady who says she’ll sort this for me then the line goes dead after half an hour on hold. I call again.

The line keeps fading in and out but I persevere.

The man from O2 says he understands why I’m being billed for the remainder of my contract but will attempt to resolve the matter. After another 30 minutes on hold he says that, given the circumstances, the termination bill will be waived but I won’t see this until the next billing cycle (Feb 27). He tells me that Virgin and O2 are not the same company and VM cannot make promises regarding O2 billing

I have the O2 agent's name, much like I record the VM agent details too, but I'm not comfortable this is resolved. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Nialli 

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

My apologies for the inconvenience again, please do let us know what O2 inform you once contacted.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Nialli

Thanks for the reply!

If O2 have advised the fees will be wiped then they'll get this sorted for you and will be reflected in your next bill (if this is what has been advised)

Has your number been ported?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Yes. My number was ported on January 13th and I've been using the VM SIM since then. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I see, is there anything else which requires looking into on our side after O2 have cleared that up?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Nialli
Superfast

Thanks. I’ll let you know when I hear from O2.