Menu
RichardCarter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

IMPOSSIBILITY OF GETTING A PAC CODE

I have been trying for three weeks to get a PAC code as I'm fed up with Virgin's rotten service and have had a much better offer elsewhere. But it seems to be impossible: every time I try the  number, I get "". And when call 789 I speak to a nice, polite but completely obstructive lady who, after ages examining the account/looking out of the window/playing Fortnite, tells me there is a flag on my account and she will call back tomorrow. She never does.

So how can I get a PAC code out of this useless organisation? From where I sit, it looks simply as if they are stonewalling to prevent my leaving, which makes me all the more determined to leave. But what can I do to spur them into appropriate action?

0 Kudos
RichardCarter
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: IMPOSSIBILITY OF GETTING A PAC CODE

If it helps, I have been told about six times that "there is a flag on your account" but despite my asking what is it for and can it be removed, nothing has been done. And the first time I asked was about two months ago!

It strikes me this is total BS and that they are just using it as a feeble excuse for doing nothing about my PAC code request. Anyone else had this excuse tried on them?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

See the Ofcom advice here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
ps2mint
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried the automated service of texting PAC to 65075?

Its free and should send you a PAC code. 

I’m guessing as there is a flag on your account, it may not generate the PAC but probably worth a try.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

While you are waiting for a response from the VM staff here, who have been asked to look at this more speedily than usual, you should try the on line method of applying for your PAC. In fact this should have been your first port of call when you decided you wanted leave V Mobile. When I did it it took all of 30 secs. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile-switching-faqs#leaving

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post RichardCarter.

Sorry to hear of the trouble, have you been through all options for the PAC code listed here

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This VM link may be more helpful than the one posted above: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile-switching-faqs#leaving

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's the link I posted in message 5. @Sololobo. You can imagine I have asked for message 6 to be reviewed!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I missed your post altogether, and apologies for the duplication.

Still, better to give information twice than not at all.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

RichardCarter
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: IMPOSSIBILITY OF GETTING A PAC CODE - What is "a flag on your account"?

Thanks to all for your various replies, none of which (and this is not your fault!) worked:

• TheOfCom advice (HowardML). All good, except that it doesn't work - with Virgin. The 65075 text route produces only the unhelpful message "Sorry we can't give you switching information just now ... call 789," logging on to my online account is impossible: a message saying "Sorry we can't log you on to your account just now," a message I've been getting for at least two months now. And phoning 789 just ends up with the same result: after ages of pratting about by a nice, polite but ultimately ineffective person, it's the same: there is a flag on your account and we have referred this to accounts". They say they will phone back, variously, somewhen unspecified, on "Wednesday or Thursday at the latest" or "tomorrow." They never do.
  • The Virgin Media route (Emily_G). It starts promisingly: "Keeping your number is as easy as 1,2,3." But of course it isn't, for the reasons listed above, and I end up in the same bog of misinformation.

As it stands now, I've been told (again!) that it's been referred to accounts because of the damned flag and I will hear in 3-5 working days. I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, another question: what does it mean that "there is a flag on your account"? I have no idea, given that I'm fully paid up on the handset and I was informed months ago that I was out of contract and would have only to give a month's notice to end it. It's not just a mystery but an infuriating mess that there seems no way  out of, if  want to keep my number, which of course I do, or I'd just cut off payment and dump them that way.

0 Kudos