Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I requested SIM and fraudulent direct debit

I recently received a replacement VM sim That I did not request. I do not have a VM account and never have had one. A few days later I received a letter from VM saying that a direct debit was being set up in my name although 5he bank details given were not mine.
Someone is obviously trying to set up a fraudulent VM account using my name and address. I want to get VM to stop this happening expect it is not possible to contact them. I have tried ringing customer service but as I do not know the VM mobile number associated with the fraudulent account I cannot get past the options at the start of the customer services system to talk to a human being and explain the situation. Can you help

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: I requested SIM and fraudulent direct debit

Hi Petewatson1950,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue sorted with this unknown SIM account. I am really sorry this has happened and that you've had trouble getting passed data protection. 

I just want to confirm some things if you don't mind just so I know we're both on the same page 🙂

When you got the SIM replacement, did it come with a letter? If so what information did the letter have on it? Did it specifically say "SIM replacement" or could this be a brand new SIM?

Does it have your name and address on the letter or is some of the information different?

Also, I know you said you've never had a Virgin Mobile account, have you ever had a Virgin Media account with Broadband, TV, Landline etc?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The letter that came with SIM contained the following

order reference : 100001108122618

account reference:  [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

date: 05/07/20

dispatch note: N8938986

product order:VIRS-TRI-UNP-REP

Description: VM Replcement Sim

also in envelope was a physical sim.

To confirm I have never had any Virgin Account Tv/Broadband/mobile

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

To confirm the letter had my correct Name and Address.

A couple of days later I recieved a further letter saying that a direct debit was being set up in my name though not with my bank details

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Petewatson1950,

Thanks for giving me that information, some of it did have sensitive info so I got my colleagues to redact it just in case! 

I did manage to take note of it before having it removed though, its a good sign that your bank details were not connected to the direct debit, but it is still perplexing that the SIM is in your name and under your address. 

I'm going to request the fraud team contact you about this so they can do an investigation, before I can do this I just need to gather some further info from yourself in a PM which I'll send now 🙂

Speak soon!

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete, I've sent the fraud team all of the information you gave me. 

They usually take between 5 and 7 working days to do a thorough investigation so they may contact you in this time frame. 

Please let us know if you have an update for us on your side 🙂

Thanks 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Megan

thank you very much fir your efforts this morning. I was beginning to think I had no way of getting my issue across to Virgin but thanks to you I feel like there is a way forward. If I do have any more information how do I ensure that it gets through to YOU. As I would hate to start again from fresh with someone new. Do I just reply to one of your direct messages.

thanks again

Pete Watson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you PM me and I'm not online on that day I may not get it so I always ask people like yourself to tag me in a public post like this "@Megan_L" and my team will forward your post straight to me 🙂

I am really glad you feel so comfortable and confident with my help that you want to stick with me - thats what I'm here for and I'm proud to be your first port of call! 

Thanks Pete 🙂 try to have a nice weekend now we've got the ball rolling okay?

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Megan

looks like you are working this morning. It is now 2 weeks since we had a long conversation about an attempted SIM fraud in my name ( And address). You passed it on to the fraud department with my mobile number and email. I have not received ant communication from Virgin since we last corresponded. Could you please check if there has been any progress.

thanks

Peter Watson

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Petewatson1950!

Lovely to hear from you again, although I am sorry you've not heard anything from the fraud team about this. 

Lets go back into a PM so we can chat about whats going on - and more importantly what we're going to do to resolve it 🙂

Speak soon!

Megan_L

0 Kudos