Menu
dry7gam
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fee applied when cancelled within 14 days

Hi There

I cancelled my virgin mobile contract yesterday due to the signal being quite poor at my work (6 days after starting it). I tried to do this over webchat but it was very slow to reply so I ended up ringing the helpline. I eventually got through to an operator who cancelled the contract for me and advised about the final fee for cancelling the contract. I told them that I was within my 14 day period and they reassessed and advised the fee had now been removed.

I then received an email a few minutes later advising me that the final fee of £67.24 was still due to be paid and hadn't been removed (this is confimred when logging into my account).

I'm hoping to get this resolved before the maney being taken from my account and having to go down the route of claiming it back if anyone is able to help please.

Many thanks

Grant

0 Kudos
dry7gam
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fee applied when cancelled within 14 days

As a slight update, I have since cancelled the direct debit, but wanted to ensure that this had all been sorted before I start to receive any outstanding bill messages.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i can understand why you would cancel the DD but its not a good idea - it will not have the result you would hope for if they try to take payment - they will put it out for collection and black mark your credit file in all likelihood - you being in the right is not something they seem to care about

getting the mark off your credit file is then the hard bit

your choice obviously but you need to talk to them and sort it out however difficult that is

Tony
0 Kudos
dry7gam
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony, thats helpful advice- but I've already cancelled it. I presume setting a new one up just incase this isn't resolved means talking with customer service again?

0 Kudos
dry7gam
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No Worries- I have just found the 'create new direct debit' on my account page.

I also own a business and am aware of the chargeback facility with direct debits and the guarantee it provides, so I guess it gives a strong legal case should things develop to a complaint.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Grant,

Thank you for your post - it's sad to hear that you have decided to leave us so soon and I'm sorry for trouble you had when you tried to contact us.

If you cancel the services during your cooling off period, we will refund any payments we have received from you, including the delivery costs of any equipment you ordered.

If you requested another service to begin during your cooling off period, we may require you to pay us an amount proportionate to any services which we have provided you up until the cancellation date and we will not refund any one-off fees for activation or installation of the services if you cancel the services after installation or activation. Are you able to confirm if you requested any other services to start after signing up with us?

Did you check your itemised bill online to see the reason for the charges?

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
dry7gam
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

Thanks for the reply

I didn't ask for any other services when I spoke with the operator- just to cancel my plan. I have check the account this morning and I can't find any detail on the charges applied- It just says fees outside of your allowances (see attached image). It also looks like i paid £13 on 30th July, which I guess will need refunding too. 

I did manage to speak with someone yesterday on the help line (I had a spare hour to let the phone wait on hold) and they assured me that the cancellation had been put though wrong initially (it had been done under a 30 day cancellation rather than a 14 day) which is why the fee was applied, but assured me it was now changed and whatever the account shows, the money will not be taken as it has now been corrected on virgins system. I guess the best plan is to keep this post updated as things progress.

Do I have to apply for the £13 to be refunded or will that happen automatically?

Many Thanks

InkedCapture_LI3.jpg

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

hmmmm - little of that makes sense - the 30day comment sounds rubbish - if you had given 30 days notice assuming you were outside the 14 day cooling off period the early termination fees would have been hundreds of pounds not £13 or similar

you need someone to look at your account and work out whats actually happening - hopefully VM will get back here and help

as to refunds - they are normally paid 30 days after the account is closed and can take a further 14 days to actually get to you - they are paid by cheque

if you have changed nothing on your package in the time you had the account as you say then no money is owing and non should have been taken - i would suggest you contact your bank and invoke the DD reclaim scheme [or whatever its called] to reclaim wrongly taken DD's

i would not cancel the DD but liase with your bank if more money is taken - VM's systems seem not to be joined up so if they try to take more money via a cancelled DD they are likely to black mark your credit file and pun the debt out for collection

Tony
0 Kudos