Menu
Sufi_20_20
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Credit file AMENDMENT

Hi,

I am writing to you as my partner has been rejected a mortgage application due to your company making an error on his credit file. Your company has wrongly mistaken him be someone he is NOT solely because they have similar names. This has led to my partner being declined for a mortgage and your customer services team and managers have been of no help either as they have given us incorrect information. 

We would like immediate help or we will be taking legal action for this vital error. 

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Credit file AMENDMENT

This is a peer to peer support forum, with forum staff picking up issues they can help with. No one from VM credit control, or legals, even know this place exists.

As such its an excersise in futility expecting an immediate response through here. If your requirements are more a glacial response, feel free to wait for staff to pick it up. It will likely be light relief in such troubling times....

If you want something ACTUALLY done, there are loads of templates online to send to either the party that has marked your partners file, or the reference agency, requesting an ammendment.

I suggest you go down that route or straight to actual legals.

In other news, unless your partner is a minor you have no rights to threaten legal anything on their behalf- THEY should be the one doing it, unless you have POA in place.

In other other news if you COULD act on your partners behalf and staff on here COULD do anything, how would they even know who you or your partner are?

WHich leads us back to- you are unlikely to get a resolution through here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Under the GDPR, Chapter 3, Article 16, https://gdpr-info.eu/art-16-gdpr/  "you have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her."

ico guidance on Article 16 can be found here https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-r...

Also see here: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/credit/ for further information.

What should I do if my credit file is inaccurate?

If your credit file is inaccurate, you can raise your concerns with the relevant CRA you obtained your file from. However, the problem may lie with the original lender or organisation that supplied the CRA with the information so you will need to contact them instead.

Who is responsible for the information on my credit file?

It is easy to see why people assume the CRAs are responsible for all the information that appears on their credit file. However, in reality, the lenders and telecoms and utility companies who passed the information to the CRA in the first place also have responsibilities for the information that appears on your credit file.

As a general rule, if the entry you are looking at has the name of a company on it, it’s likely to be that company who is responsible for that entry. The CRAs cannot amend this data without the permission of that company.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

"you have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her."

But at this point who is the data controller with the wrong data? VM or the credit agency?
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
"you have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her."

But at this point who is the data controller with the wrong data? VM or the credit agency?

At this point would suggest both, thus the advice to contact the appropriate CRA and VM for a resolution.

What should I do if my credit file is inaccurate?

If your credit file is inaccurate, you can raise your concerns with the relevant CRA you obtained your file from. However, the problem may lie with the original lender or organisation that supplied the CRA with the information so you will need to contact them instead.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.