cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Declined

TraceyJ1
Tuning in

I attempted to upgrade my mobile - my credit check failed!  I have been with Virgin for many years mobile, broadband & landline - I have a credit score rated as excellent - after spending a whole evening on the phone being transferred to several people the situation has not been resolved - how can I have a credit request declined when I have an excellent credit rating?

41 REPLIES 41

Sorry to hear that DAWilson, as you have mentioned the credit check is completed on all of the details provided by the customer. If some of this doesn't tally with the cross checks then the check will automatically fail.

Have you been able to speak to the team to get this amended?

Rob

No I havent.  It is very frustrating.  All Virgin are interested in is new sales.  I get put through to the mobile sales team who then put me through to the "right" team who do not respond either through online chat (2 hours no reply, twice yesterday), or Text messaging (today, currently waiting an hour and a half).  Phone line no reply at all. THIS SHOULD BE SIMPLE TO CORRECT, all that needs to be done is to access my account, change my DOB to correct one (last digit of year of birth is wrong) and resubmit the order. Resulting in a SIM for me and money for Virgin Mobile. Why is this so difficult to do???

If it isn't resloved today the order will be cancelled and Ill go elsewhwere, which is a shame because my son and grand children are on Virgin mobile and its helpful to me to be on the same.

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the information, we're unable to run credit checks over the forum so you would need to call the team to check this and retry the check. If this was a new sale you should be able to do so over 0800 052 0238.

Thank you, Emily.

Thank you, but you have missed the point. I cannot get Virgin to change the date of Birth in my account which is what has to happen first. Calling is hopeless at this time too as the phones aren't answered.

Thanks for coming back to us DAWilson,

So we can look in to this further for you I will pop you over a private message, please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi

Currently going round in circles with Broadband credit check failing.

Own 2 houses. Been mortgage free most of last decade.  Good income.  No missed payments.

Taken a week from order, no response so call in to find failed credit check.

Contrary to what the forum operators seem to think.  Virgin and the underwriters carry out the search request to Equifax.  This allows Virgin and the underwriters to view the file.

Equifax cannot fail your credit request, they merely record your credit history and pass it to a lender on request.  It is then the supplier's decision to provide credit based on this information.

A failed application is with the provider or the underwriter.

Getting no where.

Dave

Hi Mrhongkongdave,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear your credit check failed. unfortunately we aren't able to provide a reason why it failed however you can request a copy of your credit file from Equifax.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Yes I've gone around the world on the Virgin call centres have been instructed to contact Equifax.

I already pay monthly for Check my file but contacted Equifax direct.

They agreed that there are no problems on my file.

Electoral Roll. 

No CCJs or other actions. Ever. 

No missed payments in past 6 years.

The only searches on my account seem to be 7 searches over 3 days from Virgin.

Homeowner and second home.

Equifax have no role in determining the outcome of an application.  I Don't understand why Virign won't tell me what the issue is.

I've even offered to pay the entire term outright but there is no facility to allow it.

Strange

I decided at 1.40pm today to phone virgin mobile to upgrade my son's phone.

I decided due to covid to chat online as i thought it might be quicker. 6 hours later I finished by being refused as I failed a credit check. I am 50, I have had few loans and those i have had, have always paid on time, very careful with my money and never been in any trouble for being late with anything. I wanted to get my son a new phone for Christmas but this now seems in doubt, certainly with virgin. I was told to make sure i pay for things on time for the next 3 months i could try again. I found that quite insulting especially as I have been a very loyal customer since £2003, and have a big account for tv, landline and internet, plus we have 4 mobiles with virgin and have always paid on time. Never ever late or anything. Very confused. I have spent from 1.45pm on this today and we ended up arguing at home as my wife was saying you must have done something wrong. If anything did cause it a few weeks ago my daughter who is 22 wanted to take over her account as she has a well paid job and it seemed silly me paying her mobile bill. She was refused credit. The virgin team explained it was probably as she had no paying back of a loan history. Well how will she get any??? Anyway the team suggested that i split the account with my daughter with her paying the SIM. I wonder if it is connected. 

A TOUGH DAY AND NO LOGICAL REASON FOR IT. 

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @olly70

Welcome back to our Community, I was very sorry to understand that you've had a poor experience when you have called us for a mobile handset upgrade and have been unable to do this due to the credit check.

Whilst we can't see why the credit check may have failed directly when it is done, I can offer you some general advice about how the credit checks are done and what they are based on which may possible explain your situation. 

There are various levels of credit available. The handset you have chosen can also impact the credit check. Whilst you may not be able to get a new iPhone12, you may be able to get a lower value handset instead.

Also bear in mind that each customer has a limit of how many handsets they can have per account holder. You may have surpassed your limit. If you already have handset loans with us, we do have what is called a credit ceiling where you have a total amount of credit allowed. If you have reached that ceiling on your previous handset loans, then you could not pass the credit check to take another one as you may be over your ceiling credit. 

I hope that helps explain things a bit for you - of course, I'm not sure on your account history or can see your credit file from here but it may clear some things up with how the system works

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team