Menu
lucasmm
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Contract Termination Fee

Hi,

I recently cancelled my Virgin Media services (Home Phone + Internet). While cancelling through a call, I specifically asked whether any extra fees would be charged for the cancellation and was promptly confirmed by the agent that no fees would be charged.

Upon receiving my latest bill, I was surprised with a charge of over £100 as "Contract Termination Fee Internet" and "Contract Termination Fee Phone". By calling them I was informed that the fee is due since I didn't give a 30 day notice for the termination (but rather 15 days), even though they are charging me for more than 2 months worth of services (I used to pay £46 monthly). 

So even though the 30day notice is in my contract, I was basically lied to during my termination call and now being charged 2 months worth of services and I could have simply requested any later termination date.

Is there anything I can do about this? I am deeply disappointed with Virgin Media and would like to know if I can take any legal action regarding this.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract Termination Fee

If you were "misinformed" during the initial cancellation call, VM probably don't have a leg to stand on, regardless of the fact that the T&Cs do identify that early termination fees can apply.  But even then, there are Ofcom rules that VM can not claim more than the costs of providing the service for the period in question, so it seems like they're on to a loser in regard of the two months payments for 15 days early termination that appear to be the crux of the matter.

Hopefully the forum staff can step in an resolve this - that will be quickest and best for both parties, although your post may take a while to get a response due to volumes of work.  If that doesn't happen, or it does but you aren't happy with the outcome, then you don't take VM to court, you raise a formal (probably written and posted) complaint with the company, and if that has not been resolved to your complete satisfaction with eight weeks you can then escalate to the industry arbitration scheme, CISAS.  That won't be quick, but it will be impartial and the matter will be investigated by a trained dispute adjudicator and a judgement made that is binding on VM.  Overall, slow but usually very effective.  If you didn't agree with the CISAS outcome you could still try your luck in the courts, but as a rule courts are best avoided as slow, risky and complicated processes for most people.

Search for, read and follow the Virgin Media Consumer Complaints Code of Practice for the relevant addresses.  If I were complaining to VM, I wouldn't phone or use the online complaints form as there's been reported difficulties with both, but the choice is yours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Lucasmm and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you were in contract when you gave the notice? We need a minimum of 30 days notice but can disconnect the services prior to this although this would still be billed for the full 30 days. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
lucasmm
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

When giving the notice I was NOT in the minimum contract time.

When I called the VM call center I was informed that it was not an "Early cancellation fee" but rather a "Fee due to termination without a 30 day notice".

As I said before, my bill was 46 a month, so billing me for the the 'full 30 days' would mean extra ~15 days of billing, vs the 117 I got.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this I just wanted to confirm this, you would need to contact cancellations as they'll be aware of the process that should have been taken and sort this out for you on 150/0345 454 1111 options 1, 4 then 4. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos