cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't manage multiple mobile numbers from single virgin account in O2

Magda2
Tuning in

I have 3 mobile numbers on a single Virgin Mobile contract used by various members of my household which I was happily managing in my VirginMobile App for years. After migrating to O2 I now can only see 1 number associated with my handset but can't see the other 2 numbers. O2 also only shows 1 number. Phoned O2, they think I can't manage the other 2 numbers unless I log into them separately. I am still paying for all 3 numbers but can no longer manage them from any app on my phone, Virgin Mobile or O2. O2 helpdesk couldn't explain how I can for example remove the cap on any of the other 2 numbers or add roaming or anything else like that. I may as well cancel the contract for these 2 numbers and let my family members manage their contracts separately, possibly with other providers rather than O2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Magda2
Tuning in

I can now happily report how it all supposed to work if anyone is interested. I spent several hours on the phone to Virgin and O2, hours I will never get back. There must be some benefit from this fundamental waste of time to everyone. Enjoy:

Option 1: ditch O2 and move your multiple numbers to a different provider. A lot of customers had multiple numbers on Virgin mobile because there was a discount on Family plan. O2 doesn't have that. However, beware that if you are on Volt package with Virgin you are stuck with O2 simcard as it is one of Volt so called 'benefits' so you can't leave O2 without losing Volt and usually doubling your monthly broadband payment. However if you haggle you can get Virgin to remove O2 without penalty. I succeeded.

Option 2: As of November 2023 O2 only completed porting of 1 mobile number/sim card from each account and moved it to so called 360 service. That's the number you will see in your MyO2 app. If you had more than 1 mobile number/sim card in your former Virgin account, all other numbers are stuck in 'legacy' called Williams service, usually all stuck together. You can access those numbers if you create a new O2 account with a different email address and manage them just like before. I succeeded in doing that too. it works. O2 and Virgin are saying that this pain is  'normal teething problems' of a big data transfer and eventually all numbers will be merged together. If you are prepared to wait then this Option 2 is the workaround. Otherwise see Option 1.

Just why neither O2 nor Virgin are able to explain all this on their website or get their Customer service to coherently explain this is beyond me. 

By the way the suggestion below that mobile numbers can be merged together on MyO2 app is untrue as was explained to me by both Virgin Media and O2 Customer services. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Magda2 👋

Thanks for posting, and a warm welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear your O2 Migration hasn't gone to plan, and you can now only see one Mobile Number. We're unable to assist with O2 queries via these Forums, so it would be best to contact them through the methods, here.

In most cases, your accounts can be merged together, and this should then show them in the O2 App. You may also be able to do this directly through your MyO2 on a Web Browser by clicking the "Add Product" under your Details section.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Magda2
Tuning in

I can now happily report how it all supposed to work if anyone is interested. I spent several hours on the phone to Virgin and O2, hours I will never get back. There must be some benefit from this fundamental waste of time to everyone. Enjoy:

Option 1: ditch O2 and move your multiple numbers to a different provider. A lot of customers had multiple numbers on Virgin mobile because there was a discount on Family plan. O2 doesn't have that. However, beware that if you are on Volt package with Virgin you are stuck with O2 simcard as it is one of Volt so called 'benefits' so you can't leave O2 without losing Volt and usually doubling your monthly broadband payment. However if you haggle you can get Virgin to remove O2 without penalty. I succeeded.

Option 2: As of November 2023 O2 only completed porting of 1 mobile number/sim card from each account and moved it to so called 360 service. That's the number you will see in your MyO2 app. If you had more than 1 mobile number/sim card in your former Virgin account, all other numbers are stuck in 'legacy' called Williams service, usually all stuck together. You can access those numbers if you create a new O2 account with a different email address and manage them just like before. I succeeded in doing that too. it works. O2 and Virgin are saying that this pain is  'normal teething problems' of a big data transfer and eventually all numbers will be merged together. If you are prepared to wait then this Option 2 is the workaround. Otherwise see Option 1.

Just why neither O2 nor Virgin are able to explain all this on their website or get their Customer service to coherently explain this is beyond me. 

By the way the suggestion below that mobile numbers can be merged together on MyO2 app is untrue as was explained to me by both Virgin Media and O2 Customer services.