Menu
tomgiles
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

(CANT GET A MORTGAGE) URGENT CREDIT REPORT ISSUE - V7838558

Back in 2017, I received a pay as you go SIM card in the post, which I was completely unaware of and hadn't signed up for. I spoke to the virgin media customer service team to explain that this was the case, I have no intention of using the SIM card as its not required and i haven't signed up for it. I was told not to worry about it and the account will be closed and I didn't hear anything since. 3 and a half years later, there has been a £18 missed payment go against my account every month  since and has now stopped my mortgage application to buy my new house with my partner. You can now imagine the amount of stress this is causing.

I spoke to one of your colleagues 10 days ago and followed it up just now. The first colleague has dealt with the account and acknowledged I had never set up the account and closed it. He said it will take up to 4 weeks for this to come off my credit report.

However, the second colleague couldn't pass me onto anyone and said the only thing I can do is follow it with another email...

As this is no fault of my own, can this be looked into and sorted as a matter of urgency please. Time is of the essence on this due to personal reasons.

If this is done smoothly, I will happily look into using Virgin Media in the future once we move as we will be looking at the cost for tv and broadband at the new property.

I appreciate your support with this matter.

Tom Giles

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: (CANT GET A MORTGAGE) URGENT CREDIT REPORT ISSUE - V7838558

Hopefully they'll pick this up and get it sorted quickly, but knowing how desperately poor VM's customer service is, my hopes for you are not high.  As a matter of urgency you should contact the main credit rating agencies and insist that they add a "notice of correction" to your file, which you write.  That may be quicker than VM's cumbersome and sclerotic processes.

Whilst it won't help in the short term, you might want to consider what to do when the dust settles.  Regardless of whether VM handle this quickly and well or not, I would suggest you should NEVER give your custom to a company that has done this to you.  It would seem from what you say that VM have:

a) Opened a credit account in your name, without you requesting this, and maintained it after you have notified them of the error.  This should be reported to the Financial Conduct Authority.

b) As you were unaware, VM seem to have done nothing to explain to you that they have been racking up a supposed debt in your name.  This should be reported to the Financial Services Ombudsman, seeking extensive compensation.

c) They have falsely reported that you are in arrears to the credit reference agencies, despite being told that you didn't request or need the SIM card.  This may qualify as libel, and you might want to do a bit of on-line research as to how to take that forward.  I would be cautious about legal action, but if you find the right law firm that will take it on a "no win, no fee" basis then it is a good way of sticking it to this bungling company.

Obviously, VM's own staff will read this, and can escalate this (one would hope), and there is a small chance that the company will see the error of their ways, resolve the issue and compensate you.  William Hill would not be giving good odds on that, I regret to say.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi tomgiles, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Firstly I would like to apologise for the experience you've had here, I can appreciate in a time like that, this isn't something that should be holding you back. There is nothing I can advise that would help on the post, but what I can do is private message you, get some details and get this resolved for you! 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
tomgiles
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, thank you for your advice and help with this. I will use this all going forward and look into this.

I believe seeking compensation would be acceptable once the issue is resolved and taken from my credit report. Looking back this has had an effect with me previously with not being able to get credit as certain stores - it all makes sense now looking back!

Hopefully this will be resolved as a matter of urgency due to the circumstance i am in.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
tomgiles
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have messaged you back with my contact number, you're more than welcome to contact me anytime so we can get this issues resolved as a matter of urgency.

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

so you knew about the credit file in the past and did nothing about it
0 Kudos
tomgiles
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No that isn't what I said. I had an issue with applying for credit at a store a couple of years ago as I didn't get accepted.

If I knew I had this issue with Virgin holding an account, which i never opened or signed up for, let alone was told the account was closed initially when first mentioned, then I would of dealt with all of this immediately. 

When a company admits they made an error at the start then states the account had been closed off and no longer a problem for me to worry about, why would you still think it's still a problem 3 and half years on with acknowledgement?!?!?!?!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

but a PAYG account SIM woudln't have a credit file so not sure how a PAYG sim could end up on your credit file
0 Kudos
tomgiles
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So why dont you ask Virgin that then and ask them why it's been going against my credit file for 3 and a half years causing my mortgage application to fail...
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm not allowed to ask. GDPR
0 Kudos