cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An outstanding bill for £70 from 6 year ago

Kazal52
Joining in

Hi

I hope someone can help me. Last month when I looked at my credit report I noticed a £70 payment owed to VM. I was so confused as I left VM a long time ago. When I received this months credit report I noticed the payment had gone up to £92.

I spoke to someone from the customer services who expected me to remember the password and bank account details even though I have changed banks in the last 6 years. I was lucky enough to remember the three characters he asked me for then he told me this was for an outstanding bill for excess usage and which was agreed to be wavered but because there was no reference the bill stands. I was passed to two other woman in the customer services and they were no help at all. The way they talk to you is wrong and I told them it was one of the reasons I left VM. They think that it is okay to talk over the top of you while you’re talking so that you can’t speak. Absolutely shocking customer service. 
They told me that this debt was from 2017 and I asked why In 6 year you have never contacted me by any means. Telephone. Email or letter to my address (I have lived at the same address for 18 years) she kept asking me are you sure you haven’t received anything as though I was making this all up. 
I know companies and especially VM would not keep money owed all this time with them and would have sent this to a debt collection company after all this time. 
I have been in touch with Experian and they now will get in touch with VM to dispute this as this will have affected my credit rating all this time. It has showed missed payments for only the last three months which I find very frustrating too. If I get nowhere I will have to take this to the financial ombudsman but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kazal52 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about whats happened. 

If there was an outstanding balance owed once an account has closed, a final bill and reminders would have been sent at that time.

If this was then passed to a debt collection agency which is usually done after a few months, they would then contact the customer directly and any payment/payment plan would be set up with them directly.

I will send you a private message now so we can look into this in more detail for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right hand side of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

By all means dispute it, and if you have the time drag VM to the Financial Ombudsman.  Entries on credit history are removed six years after a lender stops reporting them, so if VM have not made further reports, then it should disappear soon. 

If VM are continuing to report this as a debt then it may not  (I'm unclear whether they can keep reporting an old and unproven debt) go down the formal route, demand proof of the original charges, and of their final demand.  I reckon they won't have either, and absent both they'll have to admit defeat and cancel the alleged debt and clean up your credit history.  You may want to demand compensation from VM for besmirching your credit history- generally it wouldn't be a huge amount, but might be satisfying for you - and if you can get the case accepted by the Financial Ombudsman, I believe their case fee (always charged to the company) is around £650, and you might feel that the matter needs an independent review (and that VM richly deserve that adjudication bill).

VM have considerable form for smearing customers credit histories without telling them or issuing final demands (one case even featured on national news).

Thank you so much Andrew-G for your reply and your advice. I really do appreciate it! I knew if anything after three month and if I owed it VM would have passed this to a credit company. 
if I get nowhere I will take it down the appropriate route as this has affected my credit and only realised when I checked it. All these missed payments would have affected it too. 
Again thanks so much for your help!

Hi

since contacting you to complain regarding a bill I apparently owe from 6 year ago which I believe I paid and you told me this would usually of been passed to a debt collection company after three month. Also I have have had no correspondence from you in that time regarding this bill. I still have had no correspondence since making this complaint to you either. Why has there been no letter sent to my home  address regarding this bill since I have complained stating the outcome of my complaint.  I would appreciate it if you can send me a letter in writing stating I owe this amount and also why it has not been brought to my attention in the last 6 year. I intend on taking this further but i need a final response from you before I can do this

thanks 

Thanks for coming back to us Kazal52, I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been contacted about the issues since you last posted on the forums. 

I will get this chased with my colleague for an update and for them to get back in touch with you as soon as possible. Once again I apologise for the lack of communication. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L