Menu
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Account email address no longer recognised

So, I had an issue with overcharging for data on one of my mobile accounts recently. Because of this I'd been logging in to check my allowances more regularly than normal (once per week or so). As of a couple of days ago, the email address that I use to log in with is no longer recognised by the system.

What I mean by this is that after I enter my email address and password a yellow cross appears next to the email address with the message 'please enter your email address':VM_Email.PNG

I use a password manager so I know that the email address and password combination are correct but as a precaution I decided to reset my password anyway.

The password reset message was then sent to the very email address that the system claims not to recognise. Needless to say that after resetting the password the system still rejects my email address. sigh.

I want this fixed quickly because I want to check the allowances on my accounts before they roll over in a few days, which is supposed to be super-easy according to the VM blurb.

Any takers?

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account email address no longer recognised

The issue has not resolved itself overnight - could one of the forum team take a look at this?

I really don't want to have to waste yet more time on the phone to customer services when there's probably an easy fix for the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Blueyonderer, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear this issue has not been resolved.

What happens when you select the forgotten email option?

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sorry I've been offline for a few days away in the wilds with a mountain bike...

When I select the forgotten email option I successfully get an email sent to me containing the password reset link.

If I then try to log in with the new credentials, it tells me that the email address is not valid as per the screenshot (the same email address that the link was sent to).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
fl00se
Just joined
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.  When I called Virgin mobile they told me to create a new mail account with a different provider.  Great!  I actually own my domain and have since 1999.  I have been with Virgin for 3+ years making me create a new account just to access my bills online because Virgin is too lazy to look into the issue is totally unacceptable!  I do have an alias though, which I tried to use to set up a new account with Virgin but when I entered my mobile number I was unable to verify it using my security question - it didn't work.  I use the same security question across all my online accounts so there is no way I've got it wrong.

equinoxgraphics
Joining in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I'm having exactly this issue.  Looks like the form is parsing the field to double-check it's formatted correctly before sending (i.e. it's not a "we don't recognise those details" error, but "that's not an email address").  I have a hyphen in my email address, which is the only thing I can think it's objecting to.  Really irritating not being able to log in.

chepstowboy53
Joining in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I have just been told that virgin's servers do not now accept an email address that contains an hyphen.
My email address does contain one.
Now they expect me to setup a new email address

0 Kudos
BobblyBob
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Nathan_B

I have this problem and my email address has a hyphen in the domain part of the address (e.g. foo@abc-def.co.uk) and I am unable to log in.

This needs to be escalated to the dev's urgently.

It is not acceptable that the validation has changed to exclude email addresses with hyphens.  These are perfectly valid email addresses providing it follows a simple rule that hyphens cannot be at the start or end of the domain part of the email address.  Can I suggest the devs read the RFC's or even Wikipedia's page on email addresses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address - the part regarding domain name)

when can we expect a fix?

mistyoptic
Joining in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, i.e. a hyphen in my email address. Ive been using this account since I first became a Virgin Mobile customer over TEN years ago and suddenly I can no longer access my mobile account.

Totally unacceptable Virgin.

If you can't fix it then I can find plenty of alternative mobile suppliers. I'll change phone companies before I change my email address!

Oh, and if you say you'll phone me back then at least have the decency to do so!

0 Kudos
beckenham
Joining in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Same hyphenated email problem here and I'm already looking for another network for my phone.

0 Kudos