cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abroad and need to set up but soft lock on account

ClaireEg
Joining in

Hi I’m on holiday in the USA but didn’t set my phone up before I left the UK. I’ve just tried to do it on the website but it says the action can’t be done because my financial account has a soft lock on it. I’ve never missed a payment so what does this mean and how do I manage abroad now?

11 REPLIES 11

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @ClaireEg,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you are having this issue, this Soft lock has been applied when we migrated you from our network to the O2 network, this is usually removed within 30 days of it being added, did the notification you got provide a date as to when it was added or will end?

Thanks. Joe

Not as far as I can see

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us, Claire.

When a soft-lock has been applied to your account, you will be migrated to O2 within 30 days of the lock. You should receive a text/email shortly before the migration is due to happen.

With a soft-lock being applied, we're unable to make any changes to the account, so we wouldn't be able to enable Roaming. In addition, this should have been activated around 24 hours before leaving the UK to ensure network connectivity, this is something we're also unable to change.

It would be best to use free WiFi Hotspots in different locations if you're looking to maintain an internet connection during your time abroad. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I yesterday received a welcome to the US text but have neither been unable to make calls nor sign in to any wi-if network. The only thing I am receiving are notifications. 

ClaireEg
Joining in

Sorry …… neither been ABLE…..

Hi @ClaireEg thanks for your reply.

I do apologise for this - as Reece has mentioned, we're unable to make any changes until the soft lock has been automatically removed.

What happens when you try to sign into WiFi networks, are you receiving any error messages when this doesn't work for you?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi it goes to the webpage but the page never opens up. 

I mean the sign in page for the Wi-Fi but it never opens up

Hi @ClaireEg thanks for your reply.

If this is the case, it may be a device issue with your browser - not all WiFi networks have a pop-up before signing on,  some do contain simply a WiFi password to enable you to log in. Is it possible you can try one of these instead?

Many thanks

Tom_W