Menu
christinaod1955
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

5G Sim from Virginmedia what's the point?

• I have just renewed my contract with Virginmedia.  As an incentive, they provided me with the Big Oomph package (the reduced price was the incentive to me not this).  As part of this they sent me a 5G sim to put in my phone.  I've no idea what the point of this is.  I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 and pay for Virginmobile calls, texts and data at £8 a month.  Would I have end my Virginmobile contract and move to Virginmedia- taking my mobile number with me (which I've had since 2000) and what's the point?  Can anyone enlighten me?
0 Kudos
BeardedBlunder
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5G Sim from Virginmedia what's the point?

They have to hit their secret target for manufacturing e-waste somehow, & they've found a method which also causes their customers hassle, knowing VM they doubtless consider this a bonus.

Best of luck sorting the numbers out, I'm not sure if PAC codes work when you're not actually changing provider, STAC codes to just cancel a number for sure don't, at least, not with Virgin.  I think the plan is to make it difficult enough you end up paying for two SIMs rather than jump through the hoops to cancel the not-needed one.

0 Kudos
christinaod1955
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.  I suspected it was an opportunity for them to get more money out of me and dress it up as some huge benefit.  I'm leaving my mobile as it is.  

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@christinaod1955 wrote:

Thanks for that.  I suspected it was an opportunity for them to get more money out of me and dress it up as some huge benefit.  I'm leaving my mobile as it is.  

Actually it is the opposite of that.  The new SIM would save you the cost of your existing mobile contact.  Virgin Mobile and Virgin Media are part of the same company.

There is help post from the Community Manager here explaining how to make the switch: How-to-use-your-Oomph-SIM-with-an-existing-Virgin-Mobile-number/td-p/4321882 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
christinaod1955
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh I will take a look.  There was no explanation given.  

0 Kudos
christinaod1955
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did this but haven't heard back.  I've not done anything with the 5G sim I got as part of the Viginmedia package when I renewed the contract because I've no idea what to do with it.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.  I pay for texts, data and phone calls monthly with Virgin Mobile.  I don't know how to make the 5G sim useful to me.  I've no intentions of having 2 sims on the go in any way.  How can I avail myself of the benefits of the 5G sim?  Still no wiser.  

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@christinaod1955 I've flagged this to the VM Forum Team. I hope they will be able to advise further in this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
christinaod1955
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  Let's see.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey @christinaod1955 and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your mobile contract and oomph sim. I can see that you have spoken to the team on Saturday, has this now been resolved to your satisfaction ?

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
christinaod1955
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This was sorted by my phoning 789 on Saturday.  Nothing came from my discussion on this forum though. 

0 Kudos