Menu
Applechunks
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

3G clsoing from May 2019??

Good morning,

I wonder if you can help at all, I am posting on behalf of my friend and neighbour. He has a virgin mobile PAYG Iphone 4C (it was his grandsons) and has been told by someone that from May 2019 3G is going to be closed in the UK and had thought he needed to purchase a new phone and thus was asking me questions regarding my plan and device.

Can anyone confirm, is 3G going to be closed on Virgin? i did google last night and I couldn't find anything to support?

I am not sure, the person telling him this information is reliable but as an older chap living rurally and driving to get anywhere he is a little concerned to be without his mobile.

Thank you so much in advance

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3G clsoing from May 2019??

I hope they don't turn 3g off, all the Virgin calls are over 3g - so we will all have phones which cannot make or receive calls :-)

Apple are stopping or stopped updates/support for the iPhone 4, but that does not mean the phone will stop working.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
japitts
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

At a very high level, there's a couple of small bits about this that could lend some truth.. (although it's not at all true)

1: 3G is likely to be switched off long before 2G is, there's some valid technical reasons for this, and EE have pretty much stopped installing 3G kit on newly installed radio sites in favour of going 2G/4G only.

2: EE are recycling radio spectrum that was previously used for 3G, and using it for 4G instead. The amount being reused vs the amount left for 3G, differs depending on location - but in no areas are they removing everything.

Those 2 caveats aside... no, I very much doubt Virgin are switching 3G off in May. As others have pointed out, for as long as Virgin don't have access to 4G calling (VoLTE) then they're reliant on 2G & 3G for voice calls.

DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

virgin moblie does use ee but 3g will not be closing untill 5g is up and running and move calls to 4g and internet to 5g untill that happens they will not close 3g now becuse every network use them for calls

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2G and 3G to be phased out by 2020 not this year

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Applechunks
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your help and information. I will reassure him that he need not worry. I would assume that virgin will message everyone anyway to give fair warning.

thank you again.

0 Kudos