Menu
kamilaoszywa
Observer
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

unable to cancel my contract **ofcom**

There is no way to get hold of virginmedia, they have just doubled the price of my contract and are not answering the phones which is the only way to cancel a contract. I have been trying for days and i am in the process of filing an official complaint for the first time in my life. It is morally unconscionable and legally questionable to charge for a service and create a system that makes it impossible to cancel. 

kamilaoszywa
Observer
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: unable to cancel my contract **ofcom**

I have a younger sibling with a learning disability and the thought that he will one day have to navigate this stuff, where they knowingly entrap the vulnerable and elderly by overly complicating the process of leaving a system that is ludicrously easy to get in to worries me greatly.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi kamilaoszywa,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry for any issues you've had with contacting the team. 

I have taken a look on our side and can see you have spoken with agents already concerning your package and they have sorted a new package for you. 

Is that correct?

^Martin

0 Kudos
mickwalt
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem. I find it amazing that a company such as this, whose business is telecommunications, chooses to ignore the obvious shortcomings of their contact system. Covid-19 has been with us for a year now and should not still be used as an excuse for poor service. Recruitment of more staff to handle queries should be much easier now so what is the problem? I would be ashamed to be heading up a company like this.

Please can you advise how I can resolve this issue without having to go through numerous menus and extended holding times (over an hour) to speak to someone?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Recruiting isn’t the problem. The problem is social distancing in call centres, where in most cases only one in three desks can be used at any one time. Virgin does have offshore in operation, but they are having the same issues.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mickwalt
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Surely with Virgin's technical resources they can have people answering phones from home. If this is supposed to be a valid excuse, think again, they should be looking at alternative solutions, have they heard of the internet? How do HM Revenue & Customs, amazon, ebay etc. manage to conduct their business successfully without having to use a phone that is rarely answered within one hour.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

GDPR applies when working from home. Not sure i want to trust my data on someones home network.

VM would have to supply laptops to all home workers with VPN. if that system isn't in place its not cheap, fast or easy to setup
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Some VM staff are phoning customers from mobiles, but this in itself causes issues due to the amount of scammers calling people pretending to be from Virgin.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mickwalt
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's not really up to me to come up with a solution. Virgin Media should be in a better position to do that. However, they are working on an antiquated unhelpful system. In the scheme of things, VPNs and dedicated laptops are cheaper than call centres. It is a matter of wanting to help people or just maintaining frustration and obstructing every opportunity for someone to change provider. Isn't it strange how it is much easier to sign up to a service than it is to leave it?

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

'Isn't it strange how it is much easier to sign up to a service than it is to leave it?'

when most people signed up, there wasn't a world wide virus causing call centres to close or operate with minimal staff.

'VPNs and dedicated laptops are cheaper than call centres'

true, but a lot of companies won't allow staff to work at home due to the issues with letting them use the software. i can't speak for how virgin operate, but one company i know are not allowed to have their software used outside of the business premises. hence some are phoning and texting on things they can answer. they then pass what they can't to the 4 people (usually 90) currently working in the call centre.

someone else mentioned here that a call centre has to have space between each advisor. 1 pc per table instead of 3. with reduced staff it has a massive effect. call centres aren't designed to have big spaces inbetween everyone.

i spent nearly 2 hours this morning trying to speak to our new energy supplier. the guy said they are at 20% capacity and 'stupidly busy'.

all we can do is be patient and keep trying, as annoying as it is.

0 Kudos