Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

shambolic and cynical cancellation process

We all know it's tough and that call centre staff are depleted or working from home.

I don't want a compelling offer. Like every other consumer, I'm capable of deciding to move on or know that I simply need to cancel due to circumstances. I'm simply moving house and don't have fibre available. All I want to do is cancel.

This isn't aimed at those people that answer the phone, who have been polite and cheery.

You call the number. You confirm your postcode. You choose the option 'thinking of leaving'. You then enter 3 characters of your password.

Then you wait 45 minutes listening to Katy Perry over and over.

Then someone answers. No, you need to speak to another team. Hang on, I'll put you through.

Another 10 minutes of Katy Perry

A very nice person answers and asks some questions. She asks who I am and what my account number. But wait, I gave all that ages ago and was verified automatically on the phone...  - No, you need to speak to someine else - the moving team. But wait! I only want to cancel. No, sorry, you need to speak to them. No option to protest - putting you through now. Silence. 10 minutes later, disconnected.

Repeat process.

So Virgin, I have to keep paying £98 per month for a fibre connection and Tivo  that is now 30 miles away from where I live?

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: shambolic and cynical cancellation process

Hi springbir,

Have you tried the online messenger chat service for Moving Home? contactus/moving-home 

Click on the red Message Us icon and a chat window should open. This works best if using  a PC/laptop rather than a mobile or tablet.

I can understand, though don't agree with having to repeatedly pass verification, having worked in call centres myself. I can see the companies side too, as some have been fined huge amounts for failing to complete DPA correctly.

The agent doesn't know if the person on the phone is still the account holder as somebody else may now be speaking instead. I won't name the company(s) I worked for, but even if an agent managed to pass the customer straight through (rather than the poor caller being dropped into another queue) and said they had performed verification, I still had too go through the verification procedure. If I didn't then if the call was listened to and marked then I would be on a written warning for not completing DPA. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi springbir,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you've had when trying to cancel your account following a house move. I'll get this fed back to the Team to check the routing of our calls as you shouldn't have been transferred to the wrong department. I'm afraid we're unable to arrange for account cancellations on here and appreciate you've already called us but please try calling us again on 150 / 03454541111 or text us on 0753 305 1809 so we can arrange it for you.

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The most reliable way of cancelling your contract, avoiding all the phone frustrations, is to write a letter to their head office at the address which you will find in your contract.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks Dave, very much appreciayte the response 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator