Menu
thelocust
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

over charged

I'll try to keep this short.

So we decided after having virgin Tv, Broadband and phone bundle for a week that we didn't want the tv at all (we never watched it) so the folk at virgin got rid of the tv package leaving the broadband and phone. He said it would say £42 a month but the manager will put a credit correction on it to make it to £28 a month or whatever we are paying. just got the bill today for the first bill and the obvious £35 for the install charge is on there, but the total is 76.12! 

on the bill it does have a £14.01 credit correction but it doesn't look like it's being taken off for this bill? I get pretty confused with all these number and bills etc, is there an error or....well I don't know

Thanks for any help

Ed

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: over charged

I had a similar arrangement that didn't correctly kick in for the first month but it was corrected in the second and has been honoured ever since.
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: over charged

Hi thelocust,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out. I do apologise for any confusion around your billing or concerns you may have related to this.

When you join Virgin Media as a new customer, your first bill would often be a double payment. This is because we usually charge in advance but wouldn’t bill you before you’re installed. Your first billed amount therefore covers the month you’ve already used, along with the month to come, and payment is normally taken about 6 weeks after installation. This should have been advised at point of sale and more details can be found online. Your bill should also clearly show the period these charges cover.

If you can see a credit on your bill, it will have been applied already as your bill only shows charges/credits which have already gone through. Anything which is applied after the bill is produced would go on the next bill. If there is a rolling credit (as is likely in this case), this would be applied automatically each month and would run for the number of months agreed upon. As this is an automated process, you would often find that the first bill only receives one monthly credit, rather than the two months you are billed for. This can result in a misalignment (as suggested above by Pars) but is usually resolved at the end of the cycle. In order to combat this, some agents will shorten the length of time the rolling credit is applied and make up for it with a manual credit to go on the first bill.

You've advised that you should be paying around £28 per month. Therefore, your first bill would consist of 2 months at £28, plus the £35 activation fee you've already mentioned. 28+28+35=91, so it actually sounds like you've been credited more than anticipated for the first couple of months. It's possible that the agent mistakenly applied the automated credit as well as a manual credit for the first month or two, leaving you with a lower charge than discussed. It certainly doesn't sound like you have been overcharged, and it's unlikely that any surplus credits would be removed so you seem to be up on money rather than down.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos