Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

out of contract

Just to confirm, I am currently out of contract with Virgin but my bill has gone up from £33 to £44 in the last few months. Dew to the ofcom intervention 

The rules, announced in May 2019, come into effect on 15 February and are expected to benefit around 20 million customers who don't realise they're on a contract they could have already left. Often new customers are given better deals, or there are cheaper contracts that offer the same features.

Under the changes, which are being made to Ofcom’s Fairness for Customers Programme, the provider will also be required to offer the same deals to new and existing customers, and tell the customer if they can get the same features for less. 

If i request to sign up for a different or the same package i get the same price as a new customer. Thus saving myself £11 a month to stay on the same package . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: out of contract

you can get the same prices as the new customer just not with a new customer discount.
The Ofcom rules are not very clear. its saying that if a new customer can get service for £20 the ISP can't charge you £30

That down;t apply to offers liekt he new customer.

The price VM have to match for you is the price to new customers after the new customer discount

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the provider will also be required to offer the same deals to new and existing customers.

im no expert in leagalease but that sounds very clear.

discounting for new customers seems to be going against this.

have been trying to call Virgin for 6 days now only to wait on the line and be cut off after a hour, but do understand the current situation with call centres.

Ive had good service for Virgin, but always have a bad experience when calling. I've had to buy my own wirelesss A.P. as wifi on the home hub has been unreliable. After multiple calls to sort wifi issues and being told my 3 phones 4 laptops 2 hardwire connections are the problem not the home hub i gave up, bought my own AP from Argos and soled every problem in one go. I dont mind paying a little more for and excellent and reliable service, but my lord, Customer service is shocking...

sorry

#rant over 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI hawkmoon1234, thanks for contacting us. We are sorry that you are unhappy with the package price. Can you text us on 07533 051 809 so that we can look in to this for you -Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@hawkmoon1234 wrote:

the provider will also be required to offer the same deals to new and existing customers.

@hawkmoon1234 Where did you get this from?  I can see nothing on the Ofcom site that states that.

Closest I can find is:

"These alerts can be sent by text, email or letter, and they must include:

• when your contract is up;
  • what you’ve been paying until now, and what you’ll pay when your contract is up;
  • any notice period for leaving your provider; and
  • your provider’s best deals, including any prices only available to new customers."

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/companies-must-tell-customers-about-th...

So they have to notify you of new customer prices but it doesn't say they have to offer you them.

From the Money Saving Expert site:

"These alerts must also show the deals available to new customers, though not all firms will actually offer these to existing customers."
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/new-ofcom-rules-to-end-rip-off-price-rises/

Also on the Ofcom site is this:

"BTSky and TalkTalk will allow their out-of-contract customers to get the same deals as new customers, when they take out a new contract."
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/fairer-prices-for-broadband-cu...

Looks like VM have not agreed to price match new customer deals.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

still cant get through to call centres have sent a text to the number given but no reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI hawkmoon1234, we will reply as soon as we can, due to the weekend responses may be longer ^Chris

0 Kudos