Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

for "new customers" only when trying to upgrade my package

I have M100 with a landline, I pay £30 a month and I never use the landline.

I rung VM and asked to upgrade my package to their M200 broadband with 5GB sim that is £35 a month but I am told that this is for "new customers only" and the price for me is £45 a month.

Why does VM treat its existing cusomers with such contempt? I would understand it if I was trying to downgrade my package but I want to pay them more money! I'm more than happy to lock myself into another 18 month contract so this seems pretty short sighted of VM and only increases the likelihood that I will leave at the end of the contract and not recommend them to my friends.

Does anyone know if there is a department at VM that talks sense and would be able to upgrade me for a sensible price?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: for "new customers" only when trying to upgrade my package

The discount for new customers is a VM behaviour that they've been invited to reconsider by Ofcom, but have decided that for commercial reasons they're not going to.  As a private company they're permitted to do that, and if we don't like it our options are to take out business elsewhere.

But if you ring and follow options to "thinking of leaving" you'll get through (eventually.....) to the retentions team.  They can and do offer discounts, but they are usually not as generous as new customer offers, and the discount offered will vary depending on when you phone, who you speak to, and a range of other factors.  Before you phone, do your research - have in mind (or even written down) the price you want to pay, and then the maximum price you'd be willing to pay. If VM won't offer any discount (or one so small it's not worth the 18 month lock in) you need to know before you phone VM who you'd select as your next ISP and what you'd get speed wise, package and price. When speaking to the retentions agent haggle about the 100 Mbps price, and see what you can get, then throw the agent a bone with "what if I took a 200 Mbps contract?"  That means they can claim a retained customer and an upsell, whereas if you phone purely about the 200 Mbps that's already in the bag.  VM are also under a bit more pressure at 100 Mbps because it's so close to a good FTTC Openreach speed of 75-85 Mbps.  It's a game, and they're much more experienced (and trained) in this, but you can play it a bit.

Ideally even phone the best value company up beforehand with a pre-sales enquiry, and tell the retentions agent that you've done that.  For negotiation purposes, you would quote the best value offer in the market, but if VM won't budge and you're actually moving then seriously consider going to the smaller ISPs with better customer service (Aquiss, uno, IDNet, CIX, Zen Interent, AAISP).  They will not be as cheap as the discounted offers from people like Talktalk and Sky, on the other hand read customer reviews at ISP Review to find out why they are worthy of consideration.   And if going with a big ISP, still check customer reviews before committing - the larger ISPs all have 18 month contracts, so you need to make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos