Menu
ambvol
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

confusing monthly service charge increase after agreeing new terms in February

In February i decided after several years of suffering the annual price that I would terminate my contract. I phoned and was directed to a departed that persuaded me to stay with reduced monthly payments. After two months I   noticed  that the annual increase had been applied to the monthly amount that I had agreed.

I have complained by phone . One advisor agreed that I had been overcharged and promised to repay next month. On checking later on what my next months payment I was advised that no the price increase is automatically to all contracts. which is correct .

There is no customer support  that I can write or email and I seem to be unable to clarify the situation. If I terminate my contract now I am liable to be charged a penalising amount which will make it not worth my while.

Is there a way of formalising a complaint.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: confusing monthly service charge increase after agreeing new terms in February

If you're asking about VM's complaints process, it's explained at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-complaint 

Although all new contracts agreed from January onwards should have included the price rise into them. Without having visibility of your bills or account, it's hard to advise further.

For the benefit of others, I can see you've already posted in the chatter board 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: confusing monthly service charge increase after agreeing new terms in February

If you actually agreed a fixed price for your new contract, VM can't put it up, but most re-contracts are fixed discounts, and most customers are not aware of the difference, they just hear "£xx a month", and accept on that basis.  So in my case I have a discount of £xx off the "standard rate", next time VM bless us all with an inflation busting price rise then my bill will go up, I know this, I agreed to the contract, and it does allow VM to change its prices whenever it likes and by how much it likes.  Customers can usually reject an above inflation price rise within 30 days of being notified, but that often means either terminating the contract altogether, or renegotiating from scratch, which may not be attractive.

There certainly is a way of formalising a complaint, using the online complaints form you'll find when logged into My Virgin Media, but I would be confident that won't get you anywhere, unless you know for a fact that the adviser assured you this was a fixed price contract for the full 18 months.  If they did, raise the complaint, let VM dig out the recordings, and if they still won't budge escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  But that's very slow and a moderate amount of effort.

I'll let you decide if the potential effort is worthwhile.  If there's say sixteen months now costing you £2.50 a month extra, that's £40 at stake.  Forty quid in your pocket or theirs?  Or insufficient reward for the time it'll take?  Or an argument that you don't have much confidence in winning?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ambvol,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the current monthly cost of your package. Any changes in price are communicated out to affected customers in advance, but if you wish to discuss a changes to the package at all then it'd be best to speak with our retentions department on 150 (free of charge) on a Virgin Media landline or on 0345 454 1111 from any other phone. We're unable to action package changes or upgrades here, but they can advise you of your options.

If you need any further assistance, advice or support, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ambvol
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that i am am probably not alone in my confusion. I also suspect that my confusion arises partly arises because one advisor (after phoning 150) agreed with me that the new terms agreed in Feb should have been my new monthly bill and so should not have had the annual increase added.  I phoned a week later and a new adviser  said this was wrong. 

I suspect also there might be much confusion caused by a general misunderstanding by the contract description "fixed"  . The legal  contract interpretation of this means the contract can be changed by the supplier if he finds it necessary but must offer a the other party a cancellation. The other type of contract which in ordinary understanding of the word fixed is a  " firm" contract when the agreed contract conditions have to be maintained .  Sadly i believe there is a common misunderstanding of the word fixed when describing a contract price. I think that deliberately Marketing people could be using this misunderstanding to gain customers. 

I believe that there is a need for all broadband suppliers to have clearer contracts conditions that are not hidden away as a small print legal addendum that  shouldnt need  careful .scrutiny.  

0 Kudos