Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

coming soon - broadband discounts for virgin money customers?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-8924133/Virgin-Money-boss-reveals-plan-lure-cust...

...This week, Virgin Money boss)Duffy is set to unveil a rewards scheme that will give Virgin Money current account customers access to hefty discounts on the broadband, gym memberships and holidays sold by its sister brands in the Virgin Group. 

Initially, all Virgin Money current account customers will be offered a discount worth £225 on selected 18-month Virgin Media packages – potentially slashing up to a fifth off the cost of broadband, TV and a phone line. ...

I have a virgin money current account already

and will soon need to renew my contract anyway

where should I be looking for the announcement / the deals....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: coming soon - broadband discounts for virgin money customers?

Hello

These would be through Virgin Money and that is where the notification will come through, one thing to note that it may be for new Virginmedia customers only.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

there are no sister brands in the virgin group afaik - Branson owns the name and companies pay him to use it 

i have no idea who owns virgin money but Virgin Media is owned by Liberty Global in the US - the only link between the 2 is the common use of the name 'virgin' 

so like all offers - discounts or free gifts you need to trace back who is offering them - i doubt it will be VM 

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

no, in this case, restricting it to new makes no sense

he is trying to attract / retain new virgin money current account holders.

Most folks are not going to change their current account ( stressful) AND their broadband ( MEGA Stressful) at the same time. that would be a tiny tiny target market.

so I reckon his target market is folks who already use virginmedia but don't yet use virgin money

then he will do the same with virgin travel customers...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

that's all true and we could dismiss the this-is-money article as ill informed rubbish, except that it quotes  the actual head of Virgin Money. who surely understands the corporate structure.

to another reply: the offer can't come " Through VIRGIN MONEY" if its aimed at potential new VirginMoney customers. they cant receive notifications as they wont have opened accounts yet!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"i have no idea who owns virgin money"

it's a FTSE 250 public company , so the shareholders own it

VIRGIN MONEY UK PLC (VMUK) ORD GBP0.10
Sell:100.55p Buy:101.00p 

virgin money absorbed and re-branded 3 smaller regional banks. - Clydesdale, Norther, one other    They used to be part of Midland Bank, but when HSBC bought that, they were dumped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

who is the 'he' you speak of - Branson or the head of Virgin Money - whoever it is they have no influence on VM and their decisions - the only common thing is that both companies use the Virgin brand owned by Branson

its conceivable that VM and virgin money have done some sort of marketing deal but highly unlikely

as said above - you need to be contacting virgin money 

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

have you actually checked the deals - via the virgin money site i can get 100meg BB as a nes customer for £29.99 a month - £35 setup fee - 18 month contract

as an existing customer i have to wait for a call back and they will make an offer

on the VM site  i can get 100meg BB as a nes customer for £29.99 a month - £35 setup fee - 18 month contract

the deals are the same - there is no mention on any further cash back from Virgin Money

so it seems they are just making the same deal that VM are saying is their black friday deal

i may have read it all wrong - you can check further if you want

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"who is the 'he' you speak of"

post #1 , words 2 3 4 and 5 of 1st sentence.

CEO Virgin Money plc.

he doesn't need influence to give away VM discounts. companies negotiate discounts with others all the time.

If I want to offer you 10% off of Butlins, I don't need to own any of Butlins to do it. I just cut a deal based on expected redemption rates

he quoted 20% off select packages and the math for his example of save £255 per year based on that is OK.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They are here.

Not sure how special they are , for broadband, but I did see the word EXCLUSIVE in there

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/service/offers/virgin-media/

0 Kudos