Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

changing contract to drop the landline

i dont need to do this quite yet- my contract is up at end of April,  but my wife is now ready to give up the virgin andline and we have phased out using it.

when I asked  last year, there were no savings to be made by moving from a broadband+ TV + phone deal to a Broadband + TV only deal. is that still that case, and is it likely to change anytime soon

I vaguely recall some govt pressure on ISPs to un-bundle services

about 1/3rd of my total bill is for the landline ( if I look at how much just a landline costs ) so what are my chances of calling retentions, when my contract is about to renew - and asking for a better, no-landline package. do any such packages exist yet ?

( I also recall from last year that the only way to drop a package component is to call retentions, the other depts can only add, but not remove whole services )

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: changing contract to drop the landline

No chance. In fact the landline was bundled for the reason you suggest.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

oh well. we may revert then to having the free calls to everything (something-plus? ) deal.

i was told last year that we could trim £5 per month by downgrading to only having free calls at weekends and to landlines only, so we did that, and we put weekends only stickers on the handsets, but we have blown most of the savings by my wife not remembering the restrictions, and calling mobiles, or by calling herself to find her own mobile , and triggering voicemail! ). You can burn through £5 in 5 minutes so easily on the cheaper tariff

I have manged to cure her of calling herself from landline after sorting out how to use "alexa find my phone" and "OK google call..." so she can call herself several times a day when she misplaces the mobile , without using the landline to do it !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have an Alexa product, say Echo Dot, you can use it for free calls within the UK and other countries.

Just enable Communication in the device:

F3A85B9F-EE99-4FEB-A61B-085BE8D257DE.pngAF125E73-7432-4B5D-BA8A-A75DC4302F37.jpeg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did it differently. There is an Alexa skill called find my phone.

As it is always the same phone that needs finding I set it up so she  says that phrase and listens for the ring.

We tried actual calling people from a smart speaker using the Google home box but did not like it. There is a lag, compared with a normal call, and it is easy to end up talking over each other which confused it. It may be improved now.

We have Alexa downstairs , Google upstairs, Spotify on both.

But no need at all for the landline. Everyone we want to speak to has now migrated to calling our mobiles.

No need for the nluetonder email addresses either, except we are stuck with mine because it is the primary we signed up with. All I get on it now is spam and phishing, genuine stuff has all successfully migrated to Gmail.

So I was considering dropping phone and TV and going to virgin business for broadband, until i read their trustpilot reviews

I guess we will stay put. Out broadband via hub3 is excellent. I need to think of the rest of the bundle as a necessary evil for getting the 200mps

I don't use the tivo at all. She uses it a little, but we also have sky q TV upstairs and now tv on multiple devices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi cybmole

Thanks for posting. From reading your post, can I ask if you feel you're stuck paying for more services than your household actually need?  Because you can have standalone broadband, which may work out cheaper if you're not receiving special discounts?  

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Possibly we are paying for more than we need, yes.

When we renewed last year, my wife was unwilling to drop the landline, and wanted a period of learning to live without it.

Once the 12 months are up, end April,  I think we will be paying 65 or more when all I really want is vivid200.or similar, and she may want to keep a basic tivo for recording live TV for lounge,  we have sky q upstairs only and it suits me to have split  TV suppliers. Full , Multi room TV from either vm or from sky is more than we need, given how little we watch, and is not cheap,  We would not use fluid viewing or whatever vm call the resume playback on a different mini box service

We have a very good smart TV in the lounge  with a full set of apps, and also tablets for streaming, so we have no need for a v6. 

I understand we need to see out the current  12 month contract but I am thinking ahead a couple of months

I will look at existing broadband only packages to get a better idea. Vivid 200 may be an obsolete tier now or soon,  it I can't see us jumping into a 1gb tier, or that being available soon here as we are semi rural.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd like to look into things a bit further for you cybmole. 

To enable me to do so, I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen,

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos