Menu
Mohamed004
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Wifi can not reach the upstairs rooms

Hi virgin media community

From the day i have installed my virgin media broadband 13/4 till now i have problem with wifi reaching the upstairs rooms, and if it does it only stays for 1-2min and is away for more then 30sec and comes back again, again and again so on. So what do i do? i contacted virgin media in 14/4 they told me to restart the hub and wait for some days to see if it works, if its still the same issue to call them back again, is this common issue? We used to have internet on this house before but had no issue the internet reaching all the rooms

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi can not reach the upstairs rooms

Leaving it a few days to settle down won't help with a standalone VM hub, that was just to get you off the phone and chalk up a call as resolved!

Wifi performance of VM hubs is mediocre, and the optimal solution is usually (as I and many others have done) to spend about £100 on a decent quality wireless router, or a mesh wifi system like my TP-Link Deco M4.  If you're on either 1 Gbps or have the Ultimate Oomph package VM will supply (subject to stock) a free wifi extender pod, and if that is free it is well worth a try, although if you have to rent the pods they are poor value.

There's some tinkering with can be tried with the hub's settings, that can improve certain aspects of performance, such as poor speed and reliability, but rarely resolves problems of poor wifi range.  Let us known and we can talk about those if they apply.

The other observation I'd make is that you're inside your 14 day penalty free cancellation period, and this gives you good leverage.  You could just cancel outright, but I'd suggest phoning up to cancel, the agent will do their best to retain you, so explain the problem and ask for £100 credit to cover the cost of buying a competent router, or TWO VM pods free of charge, and see how you get on.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Hero
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi can not reach the upstairs rooms

Hi Mohamed004,

Andruser has given some excellent advice.

Your problem is best answered in the dedicated   Networking-and-WiFi/ Forum    however I'll try to help a little bit.

Regarding your wifi speeds. Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a  5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

You should post your router stats in the Networking-and-WiFi Forums  along with a description of your problems, for the learned members to check what the problem is and offer assistance.

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return.

Don't login, instead below there click on Check Router Status

From the Router Status” page copy/paste, don't use screenshots 3 FULL sets of data into your post – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You could also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OKhttps://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/bd-p/Wireless.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali