Menu
Rsmart
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why won't Virgin sort out the problem?

Can someone senior please contact me? 

I placed an order for the full media Oomph package in Oct after being assured that VM would undertake the install - despite me explaining that 200 metres of cable needing to be buried underground.  

As expected, VM cancelled the order when they surveyed the work insisting that it was too expensive to undertake. I then posted a question on this forum asking whether VM would install the package if I paid someone myself to dig up and lay the underground conduit and someone from VM contacted me and agreed but stated that a new order could not be processed until I sent photographic evidence that the civil work had been carried out. 

The work was done and paid for by me at great expense. VM finally sent their contractors to pull the cable through the conduit to the property and 2 weeks later the engineer arrived to undertake the install......and guess what......he said the signal was too weak due to the distance from the cabinet!  Evidently, the fibre I was expecting is not fibre at all - but a coax cable so when I asked the installer what happens now - he stated that the area manager (who he was on the phone to at the time) would call me to explain the options available to me. That was over 2 weeks ago and no call or contact!!!

To add insult to injury, VM then cut off my mobile phone which resulted in me losing the business number that I have had for 25 years (transferred to VM as part of the package ordered). After 8 days I finally managed to get VM to retrieve the number which was useless as they put me on a pay as you go which resulted in another 2 hours of calls to VM. 

The area manager who is supposed to contact me is Simon Izard - whose name I have seen a few times on this forum for not calling customers back.   

[Mod edit]

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why won't Virgin sort out the problem?

One of the Forum Team here may take this up, but expect to be waiting about a week. This is a customer driven forum.

Just as with the majority of BT infrastructure, the majority of Virgin is fibre to cabinet (HFC is fibre to node cabinet). Less than 5% of it is fibre to home, & only covers the newest network builds over the last 5 years. If you exceed the maximum distance from the cabinet in an HFC area DOCSIS cable services simply will not work. Adding further amplification just adds noise on the line which degrades the services. It looks like the original survey was correct, & it is certainly not normal practice for Virgin to accept third party financial assistance with an individual install, so I have no idea where you would stand with this.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

200 metres of coax would have an additional circa 5 dB of attenuation, and I'd have thought that would be eminently manageable in the majority of circumstances without additional amplification, simply by swapping taps at the cabinet.  But I'm no expert.

But if VM can't/won't play ball, would the conduit take you anywhere near an Openreach FTTC cabinet, whereby you might be able to get a reasonable fibre-on-demand quote?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The OP does not state if the 200 metres is from the cabinet or the tee point, in which case the cabinet could be a further distance away on top of this. Even at 200 metres you are stretching the upstream levels, which are very susceptible to noise.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rsmart, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear that you've had issues with both your internet and mobile service which also resulted in wasting a lot of your time.  And I'm also sorry you've not received a promised call back.  I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please can you also confirm your best contact number?  

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The RG6 coaxial cable from the cabinet to the home can be 150m, so 200m is a lot. In some cases a weak signal can be resolved by using the thicker RG11 cable from the lowest tap point but, having said that, I'm amazed that VM would have a customer do digging at his expense without first having worked out the likely power levels to be obtained at his home.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rsmart

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Rsmart
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee

I am satisfied with the forum response team but I am yet to receive a call from the area manager. 

I know its not your fault its just a shame that our area manager doesn't have the same communication skills.

KR

Russell Smart

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am sure the person will try.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos