Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why is there a £65 fee to have phone added back to cable account

My elderly mother has used Virgin Media for years, she complained that the (fixed line) phone wasn't working and so we eventually removed it from the service and she now only uses her mobile. Now however we would like to get the fixed line phone activated again so that we can give her a fixed line phone to use - I see however that there is a £65 'activation charge' ?  This is really steep, the fixed line phone is going to be for emergencies only - she already pays nearly £70 a month for TV and broadband - I think Virgin is incredibly expensive - am i correct that we would have to pay this activation fee to get her fixed line phone working again? We already have the equipment consisting of the WiFi Router, the plugin adapters and the TV cable box  . . . . thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why is there a £65 fee to have phone added back to cable account

@harrismix wrote:

My elderly mother has used Virgin Media for years, she complained that the (fixed line) phone wasn't working and so we eventually removed it from the service and she now only uses her mobile. Now however we would like to get the fixed line phone activated again so that we can give her a fixed line phone to use - I see however that there is a £65 'activation charge' ?  This is really steep, the fixed line phone is going to be for emergencies only - she already pays nearly £70 a month for TV and broadband - I think Virgin is incredibly expensive - am i correct that we would have to pay this activation fee to get her fixed line phone working again? We already have the equipment consisting of the WiFi Router, the plugin adapters and the TV cable box  . . . . thanks

Therin you have a problem. Virgin no longer provide fixed line services except to those with an existing service on their contracts. If you want the phone service this now has to plug into one of the new internet hubs (Hub 3). The downside of this is the phone will no longer work during power outages. A backup box can be provided, but this just routes 999 calls onto the mobile networks.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks the power outages are not so much of a problem because she does also have an iPhone, I just need a company who is being reasonable with their prices so it's looking like Virgin is not being fair by asking an existing customer to cough up 65 quid to have the phone re-enabled, I will probably be saying goodbye to Mr Branson & co soon . . . .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How much does BT charge?

If you are taking a BT Infinity package, then we won't charge you for installing or reconnecting your line. If you are taking a BT Broadband package, then we will charge you £30 for installing a new line. These charges apply whether or not you add BT TV to your package.

If you are ordering a BT Phone package, you may have to pay a connection charge but we'll let you know when you order. There is usually a £70 fee for activating an existing line that is provided by BT or another provider, and a £140 fee for installing a new line.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos