Menu
Highlighted
guymichaeljones
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why have I been charged a Contract Termination Fee for transferring my services to a new address?

I recently moved house to a new address and was able to take my services with me. I didn't change any aspect of the services (same monthly price, same package, no new kit).

I was aware of the £20 admin fee to do this, and was told on the phone this charge would be added to my next bill, but I've just received a nasty surprise of a charge for the 6 months remaining on the previous contract. Had I moved house and closed the account I would understand, but why am I being charged this if I kept the contract going??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why have I been charged a Contract Termination Fee for transferring my services to a new address?

You shouldn't have been charged an EDF if you've kept your services.

You need to go back and speak to the Moving Home team so that can fix that error.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why have I been charged a Contract Termination Fee for transferring my services to a new addr...

Hi guymichaeljones

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting. 

We are sorry to hear of any confusion regarding changing services to your new address. 

We'd like to help you on here as much as possible.

We will need to open your account to take a closer look at what's happened.

If you'd like to proceed with that please let us know and we can send you a private message advising of the next steps.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
guymichaeljones
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why have I been charged a Contract Termination Fee for transferring my services to a new addr...

The matter has now been resolved by Virgin Media, who gave me the choice of two options:

Receive the amount I was erroneously charged as account credit which, based on my current monthly bill, would take me until October to spend (the overcharge was made in March).

Or a cheque in the post for the amount owed, sent 30 days after the matter was resolved today. I choose this option, as it means I should be paid back in May, once the cheque clears, and two months after the problem was reported, which is better than October. I hope it arrives at the new account registered to the new address, rather than the old one.

Neither option was ideal, based on both the time I have to remain out of pocket, and the re-payment method. For context, a direct bank transfer for the overpayment is something other utility companies do as standard (I received these after closing my energy and council tax accounts).

Virgin Media have waived the £20 "admin fee" leveed when we moved house, which I am grateful for, although it would have been more helpful, as less public, had this been offered on the phone prior to posting in this forum (I was told these fees are never reimbursed).

Case (almost) closed, assuming the cheque arrives . . . . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
guymichaeljones
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And:

1. Thanks and for sorting it out promptly once I had posted.

2. I could have avoided this had I checked the last bill before the money was taken, but if you pay £xx per month every month for years then you get out of the habit, especially if no one told you about any charges when you set up the new account. Lesson learned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi guymichaeljones,

Apologies for any frustration this has caused, although I am really glad to hear this has been resolved and I will pass on your thanks to the guys that helped you.

If you need any help in future, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos