Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why do I need a player bundle? What are my alternatives? Getting the price down?

I currently have Virgin providing all three services by cable: television, broadband and telephone.

Virgin have recently hiked their prices, again.  It's now costing me >£50pm.  So it's time to re-assess what I actually need.

Phone: never make outgoing calls on it.  Never receive wanted incoming calls on it.  All I ever receive is voice-spam on the voicemail thing, all being the 2nd half of a message from some robot trying to sell me PPI claim services etc.  So the phone service can go.

Television, via TiVo box: never watch TV live.  Only ever use it to record Freeview channels (some in HD), watch iPlayers etc (BBC, ITV, Ch4, occasionally Ch5), the YouTube app.  Maximum use of the TiVo box is like a top-end Freeview box (Freeview + series-linked recording + streaming sevices, e.g. YouTube).

Broadband: currently M50 Fibre Broadband unlimited.  It's all I need.  Could be improved only by better reliability (it cuts out regularly, apps report "changed network connection", all DHCP-sounding stuff).  I don't need a greater capacity broadband, not even for streaming telly/YouTube.

What deal does Virgin offer to meet these requirements?  I note that the new-customer price of something similar is £26, half of my current price (based on a search today at https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk).

If Virgin can't offer an equivalent, can anybody suggest other providers, or a particular setup providers?

I've looked into Freeview, which needs a new ariel and a new setup box, but I can't see clearly what data sources these boxes use for streaming, so can't be certain whether they need another provider (like Virgin) to do the broadband and thus push a wifi signal to the Freeview box.

I've looked at other broadband providers, but I'm not convinced that they are selling an honest story.  I assume that Virgin's cable is likely to be the better connection, but no provider is honest enough to tell you how they pipe the signal from street to modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why do I need a player bundle? What are my alternatives? Getting the price down?

you need to talk to retentions 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

you can have what you want but dropping parts of your package may not reduce your bill as you would hope - you have 3 parts to your package and that will get you package discounts - the land line for example has a £20[ish] line cost but most if not all of that is discounted against the other parts of your package but i would think you would get some reduction from £50 for 50meg BB only

be aware that any change to your package will start a new contract

as to new customer deals/s prices - they are just that and you will not usually get those prices offered

so talk to retentions

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why do I need a player bundle? What are my alternatives? Getting the price down?

You get a YouView box when you sign up for the TV service offered by BT, TalkTalk and Plusnet. You'll need a phone line for broadband and an aerial. Any apps not available from these three can almost certainly be obtained from an Amazon Fire TV or Roku streaming stick.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your informative replies.  Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

you need to talk to retentions 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

you can have what you want but dropping parts of your package may not reduce your bill as you would hope - you have 3 parts to your package and that will get you package discounts - the land line for example has a £20[ish] line cost but most if not all of that is discounted against the other parts of your package but i would think you would get some reduction from £50 for 50meg BB only

be aware that any change to your package will start a new contract

as to new customer deals/s prices - they are just that and you will not usually get those prices offered

so talk to retentions

Worth doing if you're not using parts of the package and does save some money.  My son has just gone to BB only, dropping phone and tv, and its gone from £55 to £42.

Also it doesn't necessarily mean a new contract.  You can have a 30 day rolling contract instead of 12 months - its not quite as cheap, he could have had it for £39 if he'd agreed to 12 months, but as he's renting and not sure of the future, worth the flexibility.

0 Kudos