Menu
moonk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Webchat facility

Hi guys,

I've just set my new service up. Which has been interesting to say the least. The service is working but the speeds are very dramatic up and down. Talking between 80mb to 1gb on the Gig1 service. Wi-Fi in the premises is absolutely horrific as well - do need to be pretty close to Hub 4 to get a good connection.

Anyway, that aside. I have gone on to see if I can get Wi-Fi booster. However, it just gives me an error telling me this could not be completed on-line and to call. Which getting through has been next to impossible so far.

There does not appear to be any webchat option. With every option ending up tell you to come onto community or to call.

So, has this facility been removed for the time being? Anyone else having issues communicating with Virgin Media? The issues with the service I will sort, eventually but not a great sign not being able to actually reach Virgin Media as a new customer.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Webchat facility

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, moonk,

Sorry to hear that you have been having service issues and not being able to contact us. Webchat should still be available on our website, but we are also able to help customers through the forums. Are you only having issues with WIFI? Our WIFI online troubleshooter may be able to help https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-no-wifi-connection

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
moonk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

The problems have been mainly about the Wi-Fi but I have found the service overall to be very up and down. Bandwidth varying between 200mb to 1Gb/s on ethernet connected connection as well. Even when running a speed test I can see the service is bouncing up and down and usually settles on something somewhere in the middle of the expected bandwidth. So, running a speed test it'll start around 700mb/s for example then by the time it has settled it'll be closer to the 200mb/s.

I have gone through all of the Wi-Fi suggestions on the help options and none of the has helped. Sadly the placement of the cabling hasn't helped but that's not Virgin Media's fault. However, I have got it in a central location in the premises and the Wi-Fi is just very weak off of the Hub 4. Also, the 2.4ghz signal doesn't work at all - doesn't appear to be working at all. In some cases to get a device to connect to the 5ghz Wi-Fi signal you need to stand beside the router for it to get the SSID to connect. I have since replaced the Wi-Fi in our house with a mesh network units - so, disabled the Wi-Fi on the Hub 4. Even one mesh devices was offering a stronger signal than the Hub 4. Not sure if the Hub 4 unit is faulty or simply isn't very good Wi-Fi wise. It has been restarted and rebooted a few times so I don't think there is anything else can be done to it. 

I had tried to order Virgin Media's Wi-Fi booster as I believe I get at least one of them free with the Gig1 service I have. However, it tells me on-line I cannot order this on-line and need to call. Which of course I have tried with no luck.

I have found a chat option which is initially a bot - however, no matter what options you go through you never get connected to a physical person and the end result is "you need to call Virgin Media on 150". So, that's not really of much use.

Cheers,
Andy

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Andy,

Sorry that you are having difficulties ordering a booster, this would be due to us not having stocks available until the end of this month/start of Feb. Apologies for the inconvenience. If you are on the 1GB it is free and you can order via the app. If you are still having issues ordering it Feb 1, do let us know.

Cheers,

Corey C