cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHERE ARE MY GIG 1 SPEEDS

whitmow1
Joining in

I recently took up the Volt benefits thru VM/02 , using my hub 5 , , I have to say I was a tad dissapointed to find the I was not clearly getting full gig 1 speeds as advertised, what I was getting is : 830 download and arround 100 up.

I raised this with the VM Executive team , who remotely took the hub back to router mode , and using  Sam knows they did a speed test into tne box of 1144 download and 100 up.

Together through a series of tests we were able to discover that my nighthawk RAX 120 , was not the issue , the speed was coming in to the hub 5 as above, then strangly reducing to the lower figure, in both wifi and ethernet output.

Any thoughts as to why its happening thus, using cat 7, is there a solution ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@whitmow1 wrote:

Hi There

Someone has gifted me an ASUS RT-89X Router , which by all accounts is a bit of Beast, in a similar scenario to my original enquiry , how can i get that Router to put out the 1144 mbps it say iam getting in but not out, i suspect it may have something to do with playing the configuration of  one of the 10gb ports , any thoughts please

KR

William

Similar situation with that router in that the WAN port is 1Gbps.

You need to alter the settings to use the 10Gbps port as the WAN interface (Different router, but same logic applies):

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

If the device can draw 830Mb/s via a 1Gb/s network port, there is a further (1144 - 830) = 314 Mb/s available to be drawn over other network ports + Wi-Fi.

carl_pearce
Community elder

You need a router with a 2.5Gbps WAN port.

I assume you've used the WAN port to connect to the HUB 5, however it's only 1Gbps.

You need to access your Netgear and alter the 'Multi-Gig' port to be the WAN port (Page 31 of the user manual):

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX120/RAX120_UM_EN.pdf?_ga=2.179713185.46345123.1688898...

To set up the Multi-Gig port on your router for your Internet connection:
1. Connect the Multi-Gig port on the router to the high-speed Ethernet port on the
modem.
2. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the
router network.
3. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
4. Enter the router admin user name and password.
The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time
that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
5. Select Internet.
The Internet Setup page displays.
6. In the WAN Preference section, select the 5G Ethernet port radio button.
7. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.

You then need to plug the HUB 5's 2.5Gbps Ethernet port to the 'Multi-Gig' port (Ensure you reboot the HUB 5 after doing this):

This means you'll get the full 1144Mbps to your Netgear, however you'll be limited to 940Mbps on the 1Gbps Ethernet ports.

You will, however, be able to share full speed across serveral devices at the same time.

If you want to 'see' full speed to one wired device you need:

• A Router with at least two 2.5Gbps Ethernet ports (One for WAN to HUB 5, and one to a wired device).
  • The wired device must have at least a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port.

Thank you for this and for your time it is most apreciated, somehow my 2 daft ines rax 120 does not recognise my security questions and created 2 daft ones in replacement, which city were myself and my mother born in, we we were not  bn in cities, cant access router settings as a result , thanks for trying mind

@whitmow1 wrote:

Thank you for this and for your time it is most apreciated, somehow my 2 daft ines rax 120 does not recognise my security questions and created 2 daft ones in replacement, which city were myself and my mother born in, we we were not  bn in cities, cant access router settings as a result , thanks for trying mind

A full reset should sort that.

Hi There

Someone has gifted me an ASUS RT-89X Router , which by all accounts is a bit of Beast, in a similar scenario to my original enquiry , how can i get that Router to put out the 1144 mbps it say iam getting in but not out, i suspect it may have something to do with playing the configuration of  one of the 10gb ports , any thoughts please

KR

William

@whitmow1 wrote:

Hi There

KR

William

Similar situation with that router in that the WAN port is 1Gbps.

You need to alter the settings to use the 10Gbps port as the WAN interface (Different router, but same logic applies):

whitmow1
Joining in

Thank you

Hi its me again

I dont suppose you can make the port change via the Nighthawk app

@whitmow1 wrote:

Hi its me again

I dont suppose you can make the port change via the Nighthawk app

If you are using your Netgear router I would assume so.