cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirginMedia is trying to charge me after cancellation

NoImagination
Just joined

Unfortunately, Virgin Media’s incompetence when it comes to ending contracts has struck again.

One month before the end of our current contract (the day that we received the letter to explain that the new price would be skyrocketing) we changed to another provider.

Not only did this provider inform Virgin Media that we would be leaving, we called Virgin Media the following morning to explain that we would be leaving and went through the full process over the phone with an extraordinarily unhelpful and unpleasant representative.

We were informed that we would receive an email (we have not) and a letter confirming that we were leaving and with whatever final bill there was – as we are at the end of our contract, we should not have anything outstanding.

Our swap over date was the 24th August, but we will keep paying Virgin Media until 13th September to ensure continuity.

We have now received a letter from Virgin Media and instead of the cancellation documents the letter informs us that they will be taking a direct debit for 14th September – October (and what is even worse, this would be the start of a new contract).

Needless to say, a great panic has ensued.

I am reluctant to simply cancel the direct debit, because then how could the final bill be paid once they actually send it? On the other hand, I certainly don’t want massive sums of money being taken out of an account at the whim of Virgin media who have already proven themselves to be so incompetent.

Thankfully, this forum came up (apparently a lot of other people are having this problem). I believe the process is that someone on here now Pms me in order to sort this out, it gets sorted, and then I report everything to OFCOM based on other threads?

2 REPLIES 2

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Correct on both counts re your last paragraph. You sound like a VM veteran. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Breaking-OFCOM-investigating-VM-over-difficult...

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @NoImagination,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with our team while you're wanting to cancel. 

I do apologise that this happened and I'll be more than happy to look into this further for you to assist and correct any issues on our end. 

We would advise against cancelling your Direct Debit as this will not stop payments being added to your account. This can result in arrears and late payment fees being added. As well as this, doing so can negatively impact your credit score. 

I'll send you a Private Message to confirm a few details, so please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.
Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs