Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Virgin re-negging on price

I've been a Virgin customer for about 18 months now.  Back in May 2019 I signed up to the VVIP package with 500MB speed, all the TV channels etc and a phoneline at £99/mo (rising to £139/mo after the year was up).

Fast forward to April 2019 and it was clear that I just wasn't using the TV services and didn't particularly need the fastest broadband.  So I called up Virgin to see what alternative packages they could offer.  After some discussion, they offered a 350MB broadband package with a phoneline but no TV for £59/mo.  This seemed more suitable, but I wasn't convinced that it was great value.  After some negotiation and the customer service representative checking with their manager, they agreed that they could do the package for £49/mo, explaining that the package would technically be £59/mo but a £10 discount would show each month, resulting in a £49/mo cost to me.  I agreed to this so switched to that package for another 12 months.

And now fastforward to late June when I received an email from Virgin saying that my bill in July would be £59.  I called customer care and 30 minutes later they acknowledged the error and confirmed that (1) the bill would be corrected to £49 well in advance of the direct debit date and (2) all future bills would be at £49 (assuming no extras such as phonecalls etc).

Then earlier this week I saw that Virgin had proceeded to take £59 from my bank account by direct debit.  After an hour waiting, I got through to someone.  They outright refused to honour the £49 or make any billing adjustments/credits, explaining that the contract I signed up to was a £59/mo contract.  I explained that this was not what I agreed with Virgin and this should be evident from call recordings and notes on the system from when I had called a couple of weeks earlier to identify the billing error.  But they said that they could not access recordings and the notes on the system simply said that I had called up in late June to enquire about the price of my contract (but not the outcome of that call).  I explained that this was a pure case of mis-selling and error on Virgin's part and I wanted to raise a formal complaint and have the matter investigated - I was told that there was no complaints department whose details could be provided to me or that I could be put through to. After some 90 minutes on the phone, it was clear that I had hit a brick wall.

For now, I have requested recordings/transcripts of the telephone calls by way of a Subject Access Request under GDPR, but it is a shame that I am having to take this route.

Can anyone possibly suggest a more pragmatic way to get Virgin to deal with this issue?  It may only be £10/month, but that is £120 over the contract term and also as a matter of principle I am disappointed that they are simply not honouring the commercial bargain as agreed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin re-negging on price

Good Morning @horatio_nelson

A very warm welcome to the forums, Thank you so much for taking the time for reaching out. 

I would first like to start by saying I am really sorry to hear that you have had this experience. This is far below the level of customer service that we aim to provide. 

I want to take a further look into this for you, In order to do so, I am going to need some account information. 

I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get this information. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner. 

Kind Regards 

Zak_M 

0 Kudos