cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media not honouring new contract that they have offered and I have accepted

Donendusted
Tuning in

Been a virgin media customer for 16 years.  Always had a fair price offered at the end of previous contracts.

With contract ending in a few weeks, I logged in to online account to see what upgrade package was available and immediately received on offer with pre-contract documents. I confirmed acceptance of the offer and swiftly received an order summary with a contract number and activation date. 

New package not activated and after hours trying to chat online was told that the package offered was only available to new customers and was a mistake!

Have again repeated the process with exactly the same result.

How do I progress the offer - or leave? I am fast reaching the end of my contract and cannot afford the out of contract price. What is the means of giving notice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Omadawn
Up to speed

If you want to leave, then by far the best option (not necessarily the quickest, but probably the least stressful) is to write a letter (yes I know), send it by recorded (signed for) delivery to VM’s offices (address is somewhere, buried on their website), and keep a copy. In said letter, explain in no uncertain terms that you wish to give notice of cancellation as of xyz date (mindful of the 30 day notice period), include address, account number etc.

Now the chances are that this may well be ignored, but you do have really, really good evidence when you have to escalate it to the Ombudsman Service and demand compensation.

However, there is another question here. By Law, if VM or an agent of VM* (and this does include electronic systems), made you an offer for ‘x' services at ‘y’ price, and you accepted it, then actually VM are legally obliged to honour it, because in that case a ‘legally binding’ contract has been made. Otherwise we are talking possibly ‘Breech of Contact' and legal damages.

However, I have little doubt that within the next few days a member of the forum team will get to this thread, offer to contact you by direct message and sort everything out to both parties satisfaction.

* with a proviso that a ‘reasonable person’ would consider that said agent is competent to make the offer. For example, if you pitched up at VM’s offices and the car park attendant offered you 1 Gig internet plus every TV channel imaginable for 10p a month - that wouldn’t be enforceable for obvious reasons, but the same offer made by a member of their customer service team, is a different matter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Omadawn
Up to speed

If you want to leave, then by far the best option (not necessarily the quickest, but probably the least stressful) is to write a letter (yes I know), send it by recorded (signed for) delivery to VM’s offices (address is somewhere, buried on their website), and keep a copy. In said letter, explain in no uncertain terms that you wish to give notice of cancellation as of xyz date (mindful of the 30 day notice period), include address, account number etc.

Now the chances are that this may well be ignored, but you do have really, really good evidence when you have to escalate it to the Ombudsman Service and demand compensation.

However, there is another question here. By Law, if VM or an agent of VM* (and this does include electronic systems), made you an offer for ‘x' services at ‘y’ price, and you accepted it, then actually VM are legally obliged to honour it, because in that case a ‘legally binding’ contract has been made. Otherwise we are talking possibly ‘Breech of Contact' and legal damages.

However, I have little doubt that within the next few days a member of the forum team will get to this thread, offer to contact you by direct message and sort everything out to both parties satisfaction.

* with a proviso that a ‘reasonable person’ would consider that said agent is competent to make the offer. For example, if you pitched up at VM’s offices and the car park attendant offered you 1 Gig internet plus every TV channel imaginable for 10p a month - that wouldn’t be enforceable for obvious reasons, but the same offer made by a member of their customer service team, is a different matter.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Donendusted,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you've had some issues processing a package change and are considering leaving!

Unfortunately, we're unable to process package changes on this platform. However, if you get in touch with our team on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or on 03454541111 from any other phone, or message us on WhatsApp on 07305327112. Our team will be able to find the best suited package for you. 

If you're considering leaving, please take a look at our Cancellation page for more information and contact our team on the same number provided to discuss this option further. 

Let us know if there's anything else I can do to help going forward.

Thanks! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina. I did as you suggested and called your team in Leeds. The team there were really helpful and I was assured that the contract I had offered would be honoured and that it would take a couple of days to process the paperwork. I sent them a copy of the contract, as requested, and received a reassuring call back a couple of hours later.

Within minutes of the call ending I received a new contract – at nearly double the price. And then a second email thanking me for “making those changes”.

I am horrified at the amount that Virgin Media are proposing to take from my bank account.

I am an older person and am now feeling quite vulnerable to the demands of Virgin Media. It is pointless having a reassuring phone call if it is followed by intimidating emails.

Please could someone at Virgin Media come forward and offer some support.

We're sorry to hear this has happened Donendusted, it's not the experience we expect for any of out customers. When you spoke to the team, did they advise that any credits needed to be applied to get it to the deal offered? These are sometimes referred to as 'rolling credits' and are applied each month but don't show on the contract.

Rob 

Yes, they said that credits needed to be applied. But sadly they haven’t offered any in the contract that they say I have now entered into. 
If the credits haven’t been shown anywhere I cannot take up the contract. 
How would Virgin Media normally show monthly credits, please?

It depends on the type of credit, there are contract ones that show as part of the deal but in instances such as yours where a deal has been missed, a 'background' credit is applied that doesn't show on the contract but would be applied to meet the agreed price and would show on the bills each month.

Rob

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. It would be helpful to know how I can be assured that the background credit your refer to will be applied. 
after everything that’s happened I’m scared that these credits won’t be applied and I will be held to a contract that I haven’t agreed to. 

I understand the concern, I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you to assist. Check the envelope in the top right of the forum when signed in for the message.

Rob