Menu
sunny2012
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media broadband - contract termination charges

would like to raise an issue in this forum regarding the contract termination charges
I have been Virgin media broadband customer for around 3+ years. As part of some promotions, my contract (12 month) was renewed in October, 2018. 
In July, 2019 i have move to new house for this i have provided enough notice to Virgin Media to provide the services to my new address. However Virgin Media team told that they can not provide services to my new house as it is new build.
I can understand that Virgin media might not have required infrastructure in place. However at the same time i have been charged for early contract termination charges. I feel this is not right. Because its not that i am moving out of the contract. It is because Virgin media can not provide services to my new address. 
Also to mention my new address is also been to a developed location same city within 4 miles. Its not like i have moved to some remote location.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media broadband - contract termination charges

Although it might sound a bit unfair, legally, the contract you agreed with VM was to provide a service at your current address for a minimum of 12 months. Although it's not your fault that they can't provide a service at your new address, it's not them that's making you move out - it's you that wants to break your agreement with them.

I don't think you have any alternative but to accept that you need to pay up the remaining three months or so of your contract - I believe it's capped at a maximum cost of around £250, and just put it down to yet another moving expense.

Jussy1974
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I find it disgusting that despite my contract ending, my price now double each month.

You can get out of the contract anytime if you show the service was not delivered correctly. I will find the information as it’s quite new information.

But I don’t have a contract but trapped by virgin.

The only offers open are upgrades.

Yet new customers can get fantastic deals.

Ive given notice to leave several times but this has not been done.

So now what??

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Jussy1974 wrote:

I find it disgusting that despite my contract ending, my price now double each month.

Section N: 6 of Virgin Media's Terms and Conditions covers price increases:

6. If we and/or Virgin Media Payments:

1. increase our monthly charges under this agreement;

2. increase any of our other charges that are you are required to pay under this agreement in a way which is likely to materially disadvantage you; or

3. make any changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement which are likely to materially disadvantage you; or

4. make any changes to the services which are likely to materially disadvantage you; or

5. if there is a permanent loss of the services,

we will notify you of this and you may cancel this agreement without paying an early disconnection fee by giving us at least 30 days' notice as set out in paragraph N.1. You need to give us that cancellation notice within 30 days of us notifying you. Any increased charges will not apply during your 30 day cancellation notice period.

You can get out of the contract anytime if you show the service was not delivered correctly. I will find the information as it’s quite new information.

Section N: 7 of the T's&C's covers this situation:

7. On or after 28 February 2019, if you are a new customer purchasing our broadband services, or an existing customer that has either changed your broadband service, agreed to a new minimum period for your broadband service or re-contracted your existing broadband service, then if your broadband speed falls below the minimum guaranteed download speed and we have not remedied this within 30 days of your notifying us of this issue, or if we cannot fix the problem, we will notify you of your opportunity to end your agreement immediately without the payment of an early disconnection fee. You need to give us that cancellation notice within 30 days of us notifying you. In exceptional circumstances (for example where you cancel engineer visits or miss appointments) we may extend the 30 days remedy period but we will always discuss this with you beforehand.

But I don’t have a contract but trapped by virgin.

This is covered by Section N: 1

1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice.  You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:

1. dialling 0345 234 0751 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts.  Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or

2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

The only offers open are upgrades.

Yet new customers can get fantastic deals.

The above points are irrelevant to the provision of your current contract.

If you take up an upgrade you are automatically accepting a new minimum contract period. 

While new customers will get better deals to begin with, they too will find themselves in the same situation are you are in now. What goes around comes around.

Ive given notice to leave several times but this has not been done.

You have the right to cancel your services, whether in contract or not (subject to any early termination fees which may be applied). If Virgin Media don't follow your instructions to do so take the matter further, Trading Standards perhaps?

So now what??

Instruct Virgin Media to cancel your services by phone and in writing in accordance with Section N: 1 of the Terms and Conditions.

Terms and conditions of your residential customer service agreement for Virgin Media television, Virgin Broadband and Virgin Phone services

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
sunny2012
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response on this. I don't agree with your comment that i wanted to break the agreement. I don't wanted to break the contract. It was Virgin media who could not provide the services and then charging the customers for early termination charges.

My account has been debited for the final amount with the charges for remaining period of contract. However i can't understand why i have not been provided the final bill. When i login to my online account all i am shown is the final amount but not the bill. I would like to see the breakdown of this amount.

Query: Does Virgin media provides the final bill  in these scenarios with a clear breakdown of charges ? 

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sunny2012 wrote:

Thanks for your response on this. I don't agree with your comment that i wanted to break the agreement. I don't wanted to break the contract. It was Virgin media who could not provide the services and then charging the customers for early termination charges.

As said you chose to move house, not VM's, and unfortunately VM cannot offer their services there, they obviously tried to however, I know you find it unfair, but it was your choice to move. So legally VM have to charge you cancellation charges for the remaining months, as someone said it is capped.

Can you see your final bill via your online account?

Majide!
0 Kudos
sunny2012
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I hope when you reply to my message, you are reading the complete message ? 

I have clearly mentioned that my bill is not shown to my online account.

Please see below which was part of my previous message

"My account has been debited for the final amount with the charges for remaining period of contract. However i can't understand why i have not been provided the final bill. When i login to my online account all i am shown is the final amount but not the bill. I would like to see the breakdown of this amount."

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Has the bill been produced yet sunny2012? Take a look at the date your bill is usually produced if you're unsure.

Tom

0 Kudos