Menu
Lankmarrow
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media account hacked. Password been changed & answers to security questions changed so can't logon

I have just received two emails. The first at 20:24 says "You've successfully changed your password". The second at 20:25 says 'You've successfully changed your new security details'.

I have done neither of these things.

I have just tried to access my main Virgin Media account, and neither my old password or security details have been accepted.

I then went to the 'Please confirm your username' window and entered my account number, area code, date of last bill and amount of last bill, but those details were not accepted either.

It looks very much like my account has just been hacked, and I am worried that I am going to lose my email, get billed for extra packages and other problems.

Can you help me please?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
minky48
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media account hacked. Password been changed & answers to security questions changed so can

Hi all , same thing happened to me 21:41 , 2 emails saying the same . Been going around in circles since , can't access anything through my virgin media account . Beginning to get a bit concerned about it with regards to all the information that is contained in the account settings!! What's going on??? 

0 Kudos
Lankmarrow
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media account hacked. Password been changed & answers to security questions changed so can

Update: I phoned Virgin Media support this morning and explained the situation.

It took me a few goes to explain that it was not me that changed my primary email account details yesterday, but once I had got that message across, the Virgin helpdesk person - Partho - was very helpful and enabled me to give him a new password verbally over the phone.

I can confirm that I can now access my primary email account - I can access the Inbox and can also see me Virgin Media bill online).

I have also changed my security question.

I think that my primary email account is now secure again.

Thank you

0 Kudos
minky48
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi 👋 thanks for that , I managed to sort mine out earlier through Twitter/forum with a chap called Gareth . I think something must have gone wrong their end TBH , but I can now relax again after a very restless night worrying about it . Happy New Year 🎉 

0 Kudos
Lankmarrow
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You and me both. Glad you got yours sorted too. 

...and breathe out.

Happy new year 🙂

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media account hacked. Password been changed & answers to security questions changed so...

Hi Lankmarrow and minky48,

Thank you for reaching out with your security concerns, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I'm really pleased that you've been able to resolve this by speaking with another colleague!

Please do let us know if you have any further queries or concerns.

Thanks,

Rachael

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media account hacked. Password been changed & answers to security questions changed so...

Do consider following the advice here Compromised Email Account advice in case the miscreants have made other changes, for example added filter rules capture incoming emails.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks