Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin is charging me for TV package, when I only have Broadband and Phone.

About a couple of years ago, because of a change in my circumstances, I cancelled the TV part of my package and was left with just phone and broadband, at a cost of just under 30 pounds a month. I now find that they have been taking between £37 and £41 pounds a month although I have received no notification of any increases. Yesterday, I received a letter from Virgin saying that I have been enjoying a reduced charge of £40.50 pm, but this will be increased to £57.50 p.m. Well I'm afraid it won't. I spent about 3 hours trying to speak to some-one about the situation, today, all to no avail, and I shall be cancelling my DD tomorrow. The stress of this is horrendous. I am 86 years old, and my wife is terminally ill with cancer. How can they subject anyone to this? Words can't describe how I feel . This will be another night's sleep lost. As a last resort, I wrote to Nottingham this afternoon telling them of my intention to leave. Appalling service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin is charging me for TV package, when I only have Broadband and Phone.

I'm just another customer so I can't solve your problem.
I would however advise you not to cancel the DD instruction as this will likely cause more problems than it solves.
If VM have taken an amount you haven't authorised and cannot/will not resolve the issue, your bank will reimburse you under the Direct Debit Guarantee.
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, it's just so frustrating that I can't discuss this with anyone, I have enough on my plate without having additional stress like this. I've already contacted another ISP with a view to joining them, and they will be contacting me on Saturday to explain their TOS to me. Virgin seems to have a policy of making it difficult to lodge a complaint. No useful phone numbers, or email addresses. Totally unhelpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi mobyduck,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and I'm sorry to see there's some confusion over your package.

Do you have a set top box from Virgin Media? We do have a TV package called Player TV which is free of charge, is this what you see on your bills?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@mobyduck wrote:

About a couple of years ago, because of a change in my circumstances, I cancelled the TV part of my package and was left with just phone and broadband, at a cost of just under 30 pounds a month. I now find that they have been taking between £37 and £41 pounds a month although I have received no notification of any increases. Yesterday, I received a letter from Virgin saying that I have been enjoying a reduced charge of £40.50 pm, but this will be increased to £57.50 p.m. Well I'm afraid it won't. I spent about 3 hours trying to speak to some-one about the situation, today, all to no avail, and I shall be cancelling my DD tomorrow. The stress of this is horrendous. I am 86 years old, and my wife is terminally ill with cancer. How can they subject anyone to this? Words can't describe how I feel . This will be another night's sleep lost. As a last resort, I wrote to Nottingham this afternoon telling them of my intention to leave. Appalling service.

Package prices increase on a yearly basis, & you would normally get notification through the post or via email of the increase at least 30 days prior to implementation, during which time you have the right to cancel your services without penalty.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello, David, and thanks for your reply. I haven't received any bills. Where can I access them? We have Freeview T.V. , broadband and phone. Nothing else. Unfortunately, because of my current family circumstances, I haven't been scrutinizing my bank statements as closely as I should, recently, otherwise I would have been aware of this situation sooner.  Thanks again for your help in this matter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Nodrodg. No, I haven't received any price increase notifications, only promotional mail  The latest increase, which alerted me as to how much I am paying, arrived 2 days ago. Virgin now wants £57 a month for my broadband and phone package. Outrageous. And at my age, 86, it's not easy to cope with this sort of thing. Awake most of last night worrying about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for getting back to us. 

You can view your bills on your online account here if you have set one up already? If you haven't then you can always register for one through that link too.

If you have any issues with it, let me know and I can help further.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello, Melissa. Thanks for your reply, but I can't find details of an account if I have one, and it will not allow me to access the site using my Virgin Media details. I am 86 years of age, and this is driving me insane. Does it want a username or an email address? It's not clear at all when it comes to distinguishing between username, email and password. It will not allow me to set up an account, either. My wife is terminally ill with cancer and I am being put through this ordeal, created by Virgin, and which is none of my doing. I certainly haven't been emailed bills from what I can see. I see no solution. Can you help further, please? In five days, I have made no progress whatever in this matter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Had enough

I am totally disillusioned with Virgin's attitude when it comes to customer service. This must be the worst that I have ever experienced. There is absolutely no attempt to discuss anything with dissatisfied customers, except on this forum.  Whom do I contact in order to end my contract with this company? Does anyone know? If there is any information on the website, it is well-hidden. Meanwhile, Virgin is milking my bank account (£50 again today) for a basic package of phone and broadband, no TV. I can't even see where they started hiking up the price, as I cannot access any statements prior to last November. Tomorrow, I stop my direct debit, that's for sure.

0 Kudos