Menu
Sheilacourt
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin cable

Hi I have a little cap on pavement in front of my house that house wires for virgin cables which aren’t in use. I want to have a drop kerb, council said I have to get permission from virgin and they want £300 just to come out and look at it. Can I not just have the cables removed? It seems a huge amount of money just to look at something then say ok go ahead and do your drop kerb? There’s a few in my street and none of them had to pay £300

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cable

That's quite cheap considering they would have to lower their duct to allow for the kerb to be dropped

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

no one but VM can remove or modify the cabling or any part of the network.
They will need to do some work to get your a report and quote for the work needed. They need paying for that.

Then you will make to decide (if they will do the work) if you want to pay for it
0 Kudos
Sheilacourt
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, it’s strange, my next door neighbour just had his drop kerb done, council approved his and didn’t tell him to contact virgin, even though we have the exact cap side by side. I suppose I will have to start my drop kerb just past the cap

0 Kudos
Sheilacourt
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, I’m aware that only virgin can move them, just wondered if anyone had previous experience of this. I wasn’t suggesting ripping them out myself. You can see the cable coming out of the ground it’s a cap about 7cm square, the cables aren’t deep underground

0 Kudos
Sheilacourt
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It’s more like a wire that I think goes into my house

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

post a picture it will help vm when they get to the post
0 Kudos
Sheilacourt
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Great idea, will do

Sheilacourt_5-1619387699391.jpeg

so my next door neighbour has just had his drop kerb done a couple of months ago, no questions asked but virgin want £300 to come and look at my cable and say whether I can have a drop kerb (bit of tarmac around it just like next door) council won’t agree to the drop kerb until I get written permission from virgin but unlike my neighbour I have to pay  Not sure I understand why. I don’t mind paying same as everyone else but it seems different rules for different people even though we live next door to each other 

Sheilacourt_6-1619387783178.jpeg

0 Kudos
Sheilacourt
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My neighbours virgin cap is on the left of the picture, mines on the right

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

if the council requires the survey then VM will have to be paid for the work they do.

There is no telling why the council didn't need it doing for next door but if it's a requirement for you then you'll have to pay.

Its just a cost attached to having a dropped curb.

But having VM look at it is no guarantee they will say yes you can do the work.

You'll have to arrange the visit. Pay and see what the report says.
0 Kudos