Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media is ripping me off

Hi I'm new here... This has happened to me several times, I get a message from Virgin Media telling "We’ve noticed that you’ve just used up all of your month’s data. So, to keep you ticking over, we’ve given you a little cushion of data for free. 2GB – just enough to keep you ticking over. If you work your way through that, we’ll automatically top you up with unlimited data for £7.50 for the rest of the month.

Then in the same day when I'm not around to use the data telling me I've used all the cushion, now I'm going to be charged £7.50... I have called them to explain, after being given the chase around and cut short in phone conversation with an operator, the last person I spoke to said I would not be charged for this month... Not only have they not- not charged me but they have charged me twice for the cushion in one month, I am limited to be able to contact them, I have no phone, the phone I used to call previous was a friend that option is no longer there.... HELP!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media is ripping me off

I have to say I am a tad confused by your statement 'I am limited to be able to contact them, I have no phone'. If that were the case how could you be running up mobile data charges?  If you have a VM mobile SIM you can contact the customer team free of charge by ringing 789 or 150 from your mobile.

If you are experiencing high usage of your mobile data allowance it suggests you are leaving it switched on when not needing to use it.  Depending on your settings a lot of apps will use up data even if you are not specifically using them, unless you lock down the options.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This sounds more like a capped Broardband package than a mobile SIM?

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @1960-

Welcome to the forums and thanks so much for your first post. 

Sorry that you are going over your broadband data limit and have now been charged. You should only be charged once a month if you exceed your data. You can check this charge via your online account. 

With these accounts, you have 20Mb broadband with a 30Gb limit. If you go over this limit, we will send you notifications at 80% used, then 90% used and then again when you have used 100%. These notifications are usually sent by text and/or email. 

If you feel that you are not using the internet then we would advise you to change your WiFi password to make it more secure and ensure no-one else has access and is using it. 

Also ensure that you have no other devices connected to the WiFi when you are not home - like a mobile or tablet. These could still use the WiFi when you are not at home just from sitting in your home.

@teabag - you are indeed correct; this is one of our capped broadband packages 🙂 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This exact same thing is happening to me. I am currently paying the Unlimited data top up twice every month. I think this is another Virgin mess-up that they haven't communicated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Good evening @N80

Welcome to our forums - we are sorry that your first post is regarding an issue with your bill 😞 

Is the charge showing twice on your bill? One charge should show 0.00 and the other should show £7.50

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have no way of contacting them, I don't have a VM phone, it is really getting me down, they keep doing this to me. I only have broadband... I managed to contact them few day's ago from a friends phone but I don't have that access now. It really is crap customer service, when they told me they would not charge me in last call but went ahead and charged me twice, what if I had not the funds in my bank then it would put me overdrawn, they don't think about this they're only interested in the money.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I only have broadband.I'm not leaving anything switched on considering I have been using my laptop away from the premises.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have done all of this, even called them for help from a friends phone but I do not have that facility now, when I called them last a few days ago they said they would not charge me for the month, but they have charged me twice instead... It is getting me down... This is a terrible app to log into and it is very hit and miss to log into.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No it's not showing twice I have the basic package coz I'm poor... £24, + £7.50 = £31.50 They have charged me £39 even after telling me they would not charge me for this month, they have done this to me about 3 times now... It really is getting me down and wasting my time with worry trying to resolve this.
0 Kudos