Menu
aro19
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Lied, how do I get this resolved?

My partner set up our 12 month contract broadband with Virgin Media when we first moved into our flat in London in 2019. Everything was fine for these 12th months, likely because we did not have to deal with Virgin customer service. At the end of our 12 month contract, the prices were going to be hiked up, so we shopped around and found a much better deal elsewhere.

We contacted Virgin and told them we would be leaving at the end of the contract as we had found a better deal. They then offered us a comparable deal. We were apprehensive to accept as we had been considering moving flat within London and didn't want there to be any issue with early cancellations. However, Virgin media assured us they supplied a service to all of London and that we did not need to worry as we could move our contract to a new address if we did move. Based of this information we accepted the contract. However this was the first lie. 

Fast forward to January of this year we have found a new flat, still within zone 2 London, and as advised we called Virgin media and told them we would be moving. This is when we were informed that actually we had been lied to and that Virgin did not supply all of London, including our new address. We were upset and angry that we had been lied to when we signed our contract, however the customer service rep explained to us that Virgin Media was currently in the process of installing their service to the area and our new address and by the time we moved in March our new address would be supplied. We were somewhat relieved to hear this and that we wouldn't be hit with the early cancellation fee. The customer service rep assured us it would all be okay and that we would shortly receive email confirmation. This was the second lie. 

Today, after not hearing any further information or receiving email confirmation from Virgin Media, my partner, who has the account, got nervous and called them to confirm again. This is when he was told that he had in fact been lied to for a second time and that they would not be supplying our new address and that we would have to pay the £200+ cancellation fee. 

It is upsetting and stressful to have been so mislead by Virgin Media, multiple times. We have not been able to make other arrangements for WiFi at our new address, as we were told by Virgin we did not need to, and now we will likely not have WiFi for several days after our move, which is not easy considering we work from home. We have filed a formal complaint but may not hear back for 28 days, which is stressful considering we move before then. Any advice on how to proceed?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: WARNING- Virgin Media Lie

Not a support request. Move to the Chatter forum please

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media Lied, how do I get this resolved?

"We contacted Virgin and told them we would be leaving at the end of the contract as we had found a better deal. They then offered us a comparable deal. We were apprehensive to accept as we had been considering moving flat within London and didn't want there to be any issue with early cancellations. However, Virgin media assured us they supplied a service to all of London and that we did not need to worry as we could move our contract to a new address if we did move. Based of this information we accepted the contract"

Taking that at face value, you were misled when entering into the contract by assurances of a company representative, and the company cannot now rely on the terms regarding early termination.  I would suggest that you raise a formal complaint with VM, raising this, asking for a full refund of the fee and (say) £75 compensation for the distress and hassle., and state that if the company will not agree to that in full, then you require the immediate issue of a deadlock letter.  A deadlock letter allows you to immediately escalate an unresolved complaint to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  I'm pretty confident that VM reject the complaint, because from what I see here VM's handling of complaints is very poor indeed.  But that doesn't matter, because you MUST formally complain before you can involve CISAS.  Do not be fobbed off with garbage about "agent wasn't permitted to say that" or any similar cowardly attempts to evade responsibility.  If VM both reject the complaint (or offer a paltry settlement) and still don't issue a deadlock letter, you can still take the matter to CISAS, but you have to wait until eight weeks from the date VM acknowledged the complaint.  And the same applies if VM lose or close the complaint.  With circa £200+ at stake it is worth persevering.

Going to CISAS costs you nothing, but is an expensive business for VM.  Ideally they'll see sense and resolve this without things going that far, and in the hope of enabling that I'll flag this for staff to comment and see if they can get this favourably resolved, which would be quicker for you, cheaper for them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter Not a support request. Move to the Chatter forum please 

Which bit about "how do I get this resolved?" strikes you as "chatter" rather than a support request?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

@gary_dexter Not a support request. Move to the Chatter forum please 

Which bit about "how do I get this resolved?" strikes you as "chatter" rather than a support request?

Because that part wasn't in the original post and was added after the post was moved (per the edit timestamp).

Either way, it was still in the wrong forum sub-section.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter Either way, it was still in the wrong forum sub-section.

No it isn't. With or without the amended heading, this is a request for help regarding a cable account. It is in the right place, and if you've something useful to offer the original poster then I'm sure they'll welcome that.   Failing that, I'm sure your Jedi skills will be in demand helping other forum users.  Now, do you have anything on-topic to contribute?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

@gary_dexter Either way, it was still in the wrong forum sub-section.

No it isn't. With or without the amended heading, this is a request for help regarding a cable account. It is in the right place, and if you've something useful to offer the original poster then I'm sure they'll welcome that.   Failing that, I'm sure your Jedi skills will be in demand helping other forum users.  Now, do you have anything on-topic to contribute?

It is in the right place now it's been moved.

It was in the Networking and WIFI section before.

Please get your facts straight before slinging inane insults and accusations.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
aro19
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your feedback, I am new here and don't know...

Thank you for your feedback, I am new here and don't know how it works. I have changed my subject line based on your feedback to make it clear I am looking for support and advice from people who have gone through similar, but I do also want to warn people. 

If you still do not believe this is in the correct place then please ignore it, thank you. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thank you for your feedback, I am new here and don't know...

Hi aro19,

Welcome to the Community Forums, thank you for taking the time to post here.

I'm very sorry to hear that you were misled by our agents in regards to the serviceability of your new address. We know how stressful moving home can be on it's own, so I can certainly imagine your frustration with everything that has happened so far.

I'll be happy to take a closer look into this for you and raise a complaint. Please find my message over at the purple envelope.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos