Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Are Breaking The Law

In line with new legislation introduced on 15th February 2020, all broadband, phone, pay-TV and mobile phone providers are now required to notify customers when their contract is about to expire. This lets customers know that they can start shopping around for a better deal.

Virgin sent this email 8 days into the 30 days notification period, if you cancel on the day of the email you get charged for 8 days of the higher contract price the following month.

The law is there so people have a few weeks to look for a better deal.

Virgin should send the end of contract reminder at least 44 days before your contract ends with a notice in bold saying 30 days notice needed so people have 14 days to look for new supplier without being charged for days out of contract.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Are Breaking The Law

"So broadband and mobile firms are focusing their efforts on keeping their customers connected, particularly those that are vulnerable and depend on their services the most.

We think this is absolutely the right approach. And we recognise this might affect the companies’ ability to comply with some of our rules during this time. We have written to the providers explaining that we will take  account of the unique circumstances when enforcing our rules.

For example, we appreciate activities like end of contract notifications, which providers are required to send when customers are approaching the end of their minimum contract term, might be driving additional traffic to call centres at a time when organisations need to prioritise calls from vulnerable people and those that are having difficulties staying connected. So, while we are encouraging providers to send these notifications as normal, we will take a pragmatic approach to compliance with rules like this, recognising the significant challenges providers face at this time and the steps they need to take to respond to the impact of the coronavirus."
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/broadband-and-mobile-firms-commit-help...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped