cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Valued' customer quoted £62 a month for 18 months of broadband ONLY

Kill3rByte
Joining in

I'm almost at the end of my 30 days notice and thought I'd ask customer service for a renewal price.

"62 is the best price I can give you today please come back and ask again another day"

£62 a month for broadband only for 18 months - a complete rip off and far, far more than a new customer is being charged. 

And yet I'm someone who's never missed a payment nor made a single complaint.

Why are existing customers being absolutely shafted? £62 for broadband only is an absolute swizz and you know it.

5 REPLIES 5

unisoft
Well-informed

@Kill3rByte wrote:

I'm almost at the end of my 30 days notice and thought I'd ask customer service for a renewal price.

"62 is the best price I can give you today please come back and ask again another day"

£62 a month for broadband only for 18 months - a complete rip off and far, far more than a new customer is being charged. 

And yet I'm someone who's never missed a payment nor made a single complaint.

Why are existing customers being absolutely shafted? £62 for broadband only is an absolute swizz and you know it.

Go through to LEAVING VIRGIN option and speak to retentions. Have a conversation that you don't feel like you are getting value from your package and see if you can do a deal to re-contract. If you are not out of contract or within 60 days though, it may be harder to barter a deal. At the end of the day, VM do not HAVE to give you a deal, but they are normally good. Ring after 8am to maximise getting a UK contact centre. Generally, VM only like doing BB Only deals if you are adamant you will leave so know what other suppliers are charging. They prefer to do bundles of TV+BB+Landline or SIM.

If you are re-contracting there has to be something in it for you not just guarantee of money for 18 months for Virgin. It will cots VM more to pay for return of your kit, refurbish your kit for use again if you leave AND pay extra incentives like cashback sites and free gifts to attract new customers as well as their introductory rates for contract term AND they don't know at that point if the customer is even a good payer of the bill on time each month.....

If you don't feel like a deal is good, decline and ring back and get a different agent another time. Sometimes it's down to the day of week, the agent's quota, the mood they are in, and what promotions they can do on the day you ring in....Never speak to them in a way that makes you feel entitled and I always remember they probably get a load of ranting people on the phones so I always try to avoid that and stick to a normal conversation as they can only do what the system allows them to do as well...

Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Kill3rByte,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🌞

I am sorry you feel this way, all customers would benefit from a new customer deal when they join. 
We will do our best to find a deal for you and these can change daily. I would advise you to reach out on 150/0455 454 1111 option 4 then 4, to speak to our retentions team, they have access to the best deals.

Thanks,

Zoie

SpineInMyChill
Tuning in
I spoke to retentions today to get a better deal, I saw the £30 for 6 months then £50 thereafter (for new customers), I pay £62 p/m
My contract ended last month but unfortunately the best deal I could get was a new hub 5 but the same price.
That's just my case however and retentions are the best people to ask for betetr deals they've always been my go to.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kill3rByte 

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with deal you were offered.  I am sure the deal would be the best our customer relations team could offer you at this time. However, and as advised by Zoie, our deals do change periodically in line with industry standard.  You may be offered a more suitable deal in the future.  I am sorry, but if you still wish to try for a better deal with our company, you would need to speak to customer relations on the number previously given.

Regards

Lee_R

@SpineInMyChill wrote:
I spoke to retentions today to get a better deal, I saw the £30 for 6 months then £50 thereafter (for new customers), I pay £62 p/m
My contract ended last month but unfortunately the best deal I could get was a new hub 5 but the same price.
That's just my case however and retentions are the best people to ask for betetr deals they've always been my go to.

They obviously don't think you would leave. If they did you would be offered better deals. Sometimes you are better to put a full cancel in and outbound retentions call you if you have the option ticked for allowing contact in your My Virgin media Profile. It's not guaranteed, but it usually happens anywhere from 24 hours to 72 hours later. If you don't get a call back you can either cancel the cancel within 30 days or still walk. You only have to be away 60 days to be classed as a new customer again, so you may be able to do 30 day mobile contract and put a USB dongle in your router or use NOW FTTC broadband service which has a monthly contract option, though its £65 upfront for their router for monthly option (12 months is free).

Hopefully you read the tips in my original post for negotiating. Always worked for me, but then always been prepared to walk if it didn't.

If you agreed to a new deal you still have 14 days to re-negotiate or leave or simply cancel the revised offer and revert to original.