Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

VM not honouring deal offered by retention agent

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

I decided to cancel my virgin media as it was getting too expensive. The following day a retention agent contacted me and started making me offers. Eventually he made me an offer that I was happy with, I would get faster Internet, keep my channels (i made very sure to specify this) and pay less than I'm paying now. I considered this to be a good deal so I decided to accept and commit to a 12 month contract.

Fast forward 24 hours and suddenly most of my channels disappear. I contact VM who tell me that my channels package was downgraded as per my new contract. I told them that the retention agent had specifically stated that I wasn't going to lose my channels. They said that this wasn't the case when looking at his file notes. I can honestly dispute this because he did specify that wouldnt be the case. I kicked off and said that they should honour the deal that he made, and i accepted. They said that they couldn't do that and wanted me to pay a whole £15 a month more. The cheek! I told them I was not accepting this and that I wanted to resume my cancellation and I wanted my old channels back for the remainder of my contract. The customer service agent said that this would be done and we concluded the conversation.

Then tonight, still no channels. So I ring again and after a long wait I get another CS agent who I explain the situation to. She then says the previous agent has made no mention of restoring my channels on my file. Again, one of their employees had not documented our conversation properly. She then puts me on hold for over 15 minutes to speak to her manager. When she eventually comes back she tells me that they cannot change these channels back to what I had without taking out a new contract. She then tells me that it would cost me the same for the new contract with SLOWER Internet as the other agent told me it would with the extra £15 a month! They can't even be consistent.

I have obviously put a complaint in, at which point the agent just kind of clams up and starts giving the generic 'we are sorry you feel that way speill.

Has anyone had such poor and inconsistent customer service? I feel to refuse to honour the offer that was made is shocking customer service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM not honouring deal offered by retention agent

Oh mate, welcome to my world. 😂 Here is a link to my original post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/How-is-this-legal/td-p/4290030

This one has a more positive outcome: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Help-My-contract-is-just-wrong-and-...

However, your mileage may vary. I'm still waiting for someone to have the decency to explain things to me. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM not honouring deal offered by retention agent

Formally complain to VM in writing, stating that you don't accept the deal they have imposed, that VM have offered and you have accepted the retention agent's deal, and that you know that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, information provided by the company verbally or in writing is binding where the customer relies upon it.  Request they immediately put you on the offered deal, failing which you will at the earliest opportunity escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS for resolution, AND you will complain to Ofcom that Virgin Media's dodgy sales/retention behaviours are a clear breach of their commitment to treat customers fairly.  State also that you are not to be contacted by telephone because VM routinely use "we couldn't get hold of you" as a ruse to close complaints.

Don't expect a quick fix.  Sometimes VM see the error of their ways, if not CISAS will sort it out eventually, but can take a long time, particularly as VM are allowed eight weeks to sort things out before you can go to CISAS.  Do not accept a half baked compromise from VM - if you were promised something by their staff, that's the deal.  Any guff about "the agent wasn't authorised to offer this" is just brown, smelly guff, because if VM don't select honest, competent staff, and train and supervise them properly then that's their problem, not yours.

Ofcom won't get involved in your specific complaint, but they will act against VM if sufficient customers complain about unfair behaviours.  All telcos gave commitments to Ofcom last year that they would "treat customers fairly", but it is sadly very apparent this has changed nothing in VM's long list of poor behaviours. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos