cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM manhole cover in new drop kerb.

HankUK
Tuning in

In my dealings with Virgin Media over the last 2 months regarding alteration to a VM cover in a new drop kerb, I have found VM to be the most inept, inefficient, incompetent and resource wasteful organisation I have ever come across.  Believe me, when I say I have literally been around the world assessing systems and procedures in large multinational companies  for decades. As primarily a 'Communications organisation', VM are as appalling as they could be regarding their computer systems and interface with their long standing Customers! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Following a 150 call from our VM phone, a VM engineer arrived on 23rd November 2019 to inspect the VM cover where a drop kerb was to be built following a double Garage next to the house and drive being completely rebuilt to become in/out.  The engineer advised the VM box was deep, should be little problem to lower it to match the drop kerb, which he marked with green spray and when asked he thought it would be without cost. I subsequently learned the VM engineer had updated 'VM Records' for the visit on 23rd November 2019, together with a photograph of the VM box.

On pursuing this with 'Medway Council', they indicated I should call VM DivWorks, following which they have said:-

1. They could find no record of the VM engineer visit on 23rd November 2019, it needed to be checked by DivWorks Planning at a cost of £240.

2. Numerous calls were made establishing the 23rd November 2019 VM Engineers visit and I provided DivWorks with the VM Order No. 73590063, but they still denied finding a record of this.

3. Over 30 phone calls were made to VM to over 12 people, many being repeatedly routed to India being a complete waste of time.

4. On further contact with Christopher Doran, a 'revised rough' estimate of £6733.33 was made!  Clearly this was NOT a rough estimate of such a ridiculous amount, ending with 33p!  This spurred me to make further calls to VM including to Ann Davies and Donna Morley, who I understood Christopher Doran reported to.

5. The above resulted in two VM engineers arriving this morning to survey the VM box where the drop kerb is going and will provide a cost estimate to me next week. They arrived on-time, were efficient, understanding and helpful. I asked the for an estimate of the cost and they thought £1,500.

So, in over 2 months the VM cost has gone from nothing, to £240, which was the waived, to £6733.33 and now thought to be £1,500 (inc. VAT?).

I was inflamed by the stupidity of Christopher Doran (point 4), whom I have no confidence with, coming up with £6,733.33 as a rough quote!!!

I feel the excessive time wasting incompetence of VM should result in a reduction in cost for the work, before a decision is made t stay with VM or not.

Please advise.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi HankUK, 

I can see you're incredibly frustrated by this ordeal you've been dealing with, I am terribly sorry for that.

What was the issue around the drop kerb that caused this situation? 

Also, have you made a complaint about this? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Yes, I've made a complaint to Donna Morley regarding the incompetence of DivWorks and the fragmented components of VM with communications miss-routed around the world which are unconnected and 'not fit for purpose' 

Thanks for getting back to me about this Hank, I am sorry that this caused you to make a formal complaint. 

What was the issue again that actually made you irritated about the drop kirb? I know you're dissatisfied with our communications but is there anything more that made your irritation inflamed?

Megan_L 

Following a 150 call from our VM phone, a VM engineer arrived on 23rd November 2019 to inspect the VM cover where a drop kerb was to be built following a double Garage next to the house and drive being completely rebuilt to become in/out.  The engineer advised the VM box was deep, should be little problem to lower it to match the drop kerb, which he marked with green spray and when asked he thought it would be without cost. I subsequently learned the VM engineer had updated 'VM Records' for the visit on 23rd November 2019, together with a photograph of the VM box.

On pursuing this with 'Medway Council', they indicated I should call VM DivWorks, following which they have said:-

1. They could find no record of the VM engineer visit on 23rd November 2019, it needed to be checked by DivWorks Planning at a cost of £240.

2. Numerous calls were made establishing the 23rd November 2019 VM Engineers visit and I provided DivWorks with the VM Order No. 73590063, but they still denied finding a record of this.

3. Over 30 phone calls were made to VM to over 12 people, many being repeatedly routed to India being a complete waste of time.

4. On further contact with Christopher Doran, a 'revised rough' estimate of £6733.33 was made!  Clearly this was NOT a rough estimate of such a ridiculous amount, ending with 33p!  This spurred me to make further calls to VM including to Ann Davies and Donna Morley, who I understood Christopher Doran reported to.

5. The above resulted in two VM engineers arriving this morning to survey the VM box where the drop kerb is going and will provide a cost estimate to me next week. They arrived on-time, were efficient, understanding and helpful. I asked the for an estimate of the cost and they thought £1,500.

So, in over 2 months the VM cost has gone from nothing, to £240, which was the waived, to £6733.33 and now thought to be £1,500 (inc. VAT?).

I was inflamed by the stupidity of Christopher Doran (point 4), whom I have no confidence with, coming up with £6,733.33 as a rough quote!!!

I feel the excessive time wasting incompetence of VM should result in a reduction in cost for the work, before a decision is made t stay with VM or not.

Please advise.

Hi HankUK,

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry you've had a poor experience. This isn't something we can deal with via the forums. Are you still speaking to Ann or Donna relating this?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

No point continuing it here!

Hi, 

I have just had Medway council out about a dropped kerb in Gillingham where I unfortunately also need VM manhole moved....as it is likely to be the same VM dept as it's the same area it really doesn't fill me with much confidence.  HankUK, did you get your final cost in the end? .....I'm starting to think it is going to cost more for VM moving than the whole works altogether!  Seems odd that BT/Water can all do it virtually for free yet VM charge 3 x as much as Medway Highways  'just to even have a look'.  Do VM take their inspection fee off the costs they charge to move it ? 

You pay £240 for VM to assess what has to be done to carry out the requested work and to give a cost for doing the job. This should not be regarded as a guarantee that VM will actually do the work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Further  to  the above:--

After the VM quote from their 'DivX' department for £6733.33 to adjust the angle of their manhole cover when I had a drop kerb installed, I refuted the amount and told them it was totally excessive.  They came back and said it was only a DRAFT amount!  I then managed to contact a director of DivX and the amount was reduced to £1,459.29, which I reluctantly paid in order to obtain the drop kerb to complete my in/out drive.

I then obtained my own qualified builder for the drop kerb with 6 kerb slabs at a cost of £1100.  

VM do not do the work to angle their manhole cover to the new drop kerb angle, I found out that they subcontracted the job to Company A, who then subcontracted it to Company B, all taking a CUT from what I was paying to VM for NOT doing the work!

Company B did such a bad job doing what I paid VM 1,459.29 for them to do it, that my builder had to fix it after they had gone ... Total incompetence from VM all at my expense!!!  The VM Organisation is inept, inefficient and totally dysfunctional.  Having said that, their TV, Broadband and Phone service is very good once you get it.  I did put in a complaint regarding my unacceptable experience with DivX within VM and spoke to a helpful VM person in India, he increased my broadband speed from 110 Mps to 220 Mps and sent me a free mobile phone sim card, which I'm now on.

During the drop kerb process, I did switch to SKY (whilst retaining VM) when SKY said I would get a broadband speed of at least 72 Mps. However, when SKY was installed I only got 17 Mps and I had major problems with our home phone and retaining the telephone no. we've had for over 40 years.

Reluctantly, we're now back with VM on a reduced tariff, due mainly to their 'Fibre Optic' connection to our property.

Good luck to all,

Hank