Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Use Business Router From House...

Hi All

We have an active home VM account, which I'm in the process of cancelling for 3 months (I want to be classed as a new customer to get a better deal).

Due to the Coronavirus I've closed the office so have a VM Business Hitron hub doing nothing.

I wanted to move my business broadband to my home address (address is only 1.5 miles away).

The Hitron hub doesn't currently connect at home so what exactly does VM have to do to make it work? They want to charge me £150 but is it simply a configuration setting they need to change or does an engineer have to change settings in the street cabinets?

Cheers

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use Business Router From House...

Hello

You will need to speak to the Business Support team as this forum is for Consumer support, the router will not work in your home environment as it isn't connect to the same VM green box.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use Business Router From House...

So VM has separate consumer and business street cabinets to service each area? Surely at most they just have consumer and business routers in the same cabinet.

Does that mean that they can't provide consumer and business services at the same time from the same physical cable running to the property?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping/Latency - Home vs Business Account

Hi, I got an automated email saying that someone replied to my previous post but there's nothing to see. Has the reply been deleted?

If my assumptions are correct about the home and business coax being wired to a different router in the same cabinet could there feasibly be a difference in ping/latency? Does VM use better equipment for their business customers? How does the Hitron compare to the Hub3?

Thanks, Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone got any knowledge of whether ping/latency varies depending on how the coax is cabled in the street cabinet? (Wired for consumer or business use.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is no difference, the business and residential network are the same physical network.

It's possible to have a business connection installed at a residential address, however I've not heard of anyone cancelling a residential service and moving an existing business service to that address, so i'm not sure what the procedure would be  or even if it would be allowed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a business Hitron router for my office address 1/2 mile away in the same region code (20). The ping/latency at work is much better than what I get with our home Hub3 router (I've tried running it modem mode but the ping is still around 5ms slower than at work.)

When we closed the office due to Coronavirus I took the Hitron home and plugged it in, which a chap at VM said I could do.

It wouldn't connect so I phoned VM and was told that an engineer would need to go to the street cabinet at a cost of £150 to make some alterations. I wondered if the cabinet had special connections/switch for business broadband that perhaps took priority over consumer.

One of our members of staff lives 3 doors away from our office and they too have a consumer VM Hub3 broadband. I got him to run a test and he too gets a ping that's around 5ms slower than at work.

I'm amazed no one knows the answer to this. Perhaps it's a secret VM don't want to share.

0 Kudos