Menu
rickware
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to a V6 box...

Hi All

This question is on behalf of my elderly Mother who is also on Virgin.

She has a really basic package...
phone (Talk weekends)
broadband 100mb
TV (player - which is basically Freeview)

She's been out of contract since March last year.

She's happy with all this but her TIVO box is very old, sluggishly slow and unresponsive.

How hard is it to get her a V6 box? I've logged into her account to do it for her but her Upgrades page just says "Oops! Something went wrong."

I've read reports on here that Virgin charge £150 for a V6 which is crazy considering its quite a few years old itself now (I got mine nearly 4 years ago now). And she'd be reluctant to pay £1.50 let alone £150!

Any help / advice on how I tackle this?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to a V6 box...

Hi if she renegotiates her contract she may be able to plead for a box upgrade, the reason its not letting upgrade is she may have some discounts on her account. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Micky as already alluded to this, but the best bet here is to treat a box-swap as part of a package renegotiation.

Do some basics - have a play around with the build a bundle page to get an idea on current prices for whatever combination of package and service currently suits - ignore the new customer price, and look at the standard pricing.

Pitch perhaps a little below that standard pricing in exchange for a new 18month contract, and ask for a swap to a V6 as part of that new package deal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rickware
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both 

I’ll give them a ring when I get chance and I’ll let you know how I get on 🙂

cheers

richard 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just bear GDPR in mind...

VM will only deal with the account holder for account renewals and "re-contracting" queries.

Third party authority won't apply to re-negotiating contracts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
rickware
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts

Mum is in my bubble so I’ll go round and phone from her house with her present.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
rickware
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

for anyone interested...

I went round to my Mums today and we rang Virgin Media, eventually got through and explain what we’d like to a miserable young lad.

He basically said the best he could do would be to stay on the same packages as she’s currently on but it will cost £6 a month more!

I said - no one in their right mind would signup for a new deal, offering the same but costing more and tying themselves in for another year.

He again claimed it was the best he could do, and it wasn’t even including a V6 box (which was the whole point of the call in the first place).

so I told him, he wasn’t leaving me any choice and I was going to have to look at moving.

he didn’t seem bothered either way!

so after over 15 years with Virgin, it looks like it’s time for my Mum to move on.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

It sounds like you spoke to normal customer support or the regrades team. 

You will probably have more success by speaking to Retentions (thinking of leaving us) you should be able to negotiate a better deal with them as they have more leeway.  That would be options 1,1,4 and 4. Best time to call is around 8am when they are least busy. Make sure you get the V6 box.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you need to be willing to leave VM for another supplier, or at the very least, price up alternative suppliers.

Bear in mind not all broadband/TV providers are offering installs in the current climate, or there may be a lead time beyond the 30day disconnection notice period.

I strongly suggest you have an install booked with your chosen new supplier before VM is disconnected, else you could find yourself without service from anyone.

I agree with newapollo, that you were probably not speaking to retentions.

0 Kudos