cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating hub years after it was delivered

thecableguy
Up to speed

Do hubs get deleted from the system after a while? 

Years ago we were sent a hub 3 along with the updated tivo boxes, but since we weren't getting a faster BB package that required it and I'd also read about the new hubs latency issue I asked to stay on the 2ac.

Fast forward to today and we are soon required to connect the phone to the hub.

I figured I could just connect up the h3 and when it wouldn't connect - thought it just needed activating.

The first rep couldn't help, she could see the h2ac unresponsive (I had the h3 connected at the time). She wanted to call a tech out until I persisted, explaining the h3 was locked in, all channels look fine - just internet blocked. She passed me along to another rep who asked for the serial number of the h3 which didn't work, requiring a call back during hours another team would also be available.

She also said the account holder would be required to confirm the change? I'm just hoping they don't expect an activation fee.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 👋 thecableguy, welcome back to community! 

Thanks for posting and sharing your concerns about your current hub setup regarding the landline switchover. You will need to have an upgraded hub in order to connect your phone via our Voice over IP (VOIP) service. You can find more information about the switchover process 👉 Switchover_Migration_Leaflet.pdf (virginmedia.com), here 👉 Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help and on community here 👉 Everything You Need To Know - Virgin Media Community - 4757332

I can appreciate your concerns, and we will need to send you a PM to confirm a few details and get a replacement hub sent out to you (or book a technicians appointment to do this if needed). You can find this in the top right corner of the page 📩 in your inbox. 
We can then return to this public thread with an update when possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 🌞

All the best. 

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@thecableguy wrote:

Do hubs get deleted from the system after a while? 

<snip>

Hub 3 is now 'obsolete' (in the sense that VM no longer requires Hub 3's to be returned).

If the phone switchover is being thrust upon you, and you are still running on a Superhub 2ac, you could request a tech visit to swap the hub.

If you have nominally been allocated a Hub 3 already, keep hold of it because it may well be logged against your account (even if VM is now saying they don't want them back). If a tech offers to take it away, get records and evidence of serial no. and MAC address and technician ID/badge no. if s/he removes your Hub 3, date/time of removal etc. etc.

A VM tech may install your existing Hub 3, or install a 'new' (probably recycled) Hub 3 or Hub 4 or Hub 5 for you.

The Hub 5 still seems to have some telephony 'issues'. Not least of these is phantom 'missed call' logs on many telephone handsets

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Constant-quot-no-number-calls-quot-since-moving-to-I...

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 👋 thecableguy, welcome back to community! 

Thanks for posting and sharing your concerns about your current hub setup regarding the landline switchover. You will need to have an upgraded hub in order to connect your phone via our Voice over IP (VOIP) service. You can find more information about the switchover process 👉 Switchover_Migration_Leaflet.pdf (virginmedia.com), here 👉 Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help and on community here 👉 Everything You Need To Know - Virgin Media Community - 4757332

I can appreciate your concerns, and we will need to send you a PM to confirm a few details and get a replacement hub sent out to you (or book a technicians appointment to do this if needed). You can find this in the top right corner of the page 📩 in your inbox. 
We can then return to this public thread with an update when possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 🌞

All the best. 

Molly

Was hoping to avoid having an engineer out. If they can't get this h3 re-activated hopefully they can just send a new one out.

I notice in the log it has updated its config file which says cmreg-vmdg505-cancel-b.cm (unsure what it said before).

Thanks for the info about returns, If I go here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/return-or-recycle-equipment there's no equipment listed under where it says "if you have any of the following"

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @thecableguy 

The webpage should be updated shortly with the list of equipment  which needs returning which is - 

Virgin TV V6 Box, Virgin TV 360 Box, Virgin TV Stream Box, Hub 4, Hub 5, Powerline Wi-Fi, Powerline Ethernet, Wi-Fi Booster, Wi-Fi Pod, and Emergency Back-Up Line (EBUL)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks to Molly we have a new hub on the way and thanks for the list Dave.

Hi All 👋 thanks to thecableguy for PMing with me 📨 and for returning to the public thread to keep it updated. 

Really pleased to confirm we have a new hub on the way! If you need any further support (particularly with the landline switchover process once the new hub has arrived) just get back in touch to let us know and I will be happy to pick this back up with you to get things sorted. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime! Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

new hub installed and working well, thanks again Molly

Hi thecableguy, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us in the Community. 

We're really happy to hear things are working as they should be now the new hub is installed. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs