cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair £40 activation & delivery fee

pedroi
Tuning in

I was recently required to have a hub upgrade to enable our phone to work through the internet cable; I was pleased at the ease of connection and automatic activation. Following this, my VirginMedia bill had the surprise of £35 ‘activation fee’ and £5 ‘delivery’. (I see there’s other posts making similar points to mine on the community).

- These charges are unfair when the hub upgrade is not of the customers choosing,

- I was offered an engineer’s visit, but chose delivery, partly thinking this would save unnecessary expense! (Would there have been a delivery charge if I'd had an engineer's visit?)

- I was given no notice beforehand of these charges, in the letter or a phone call.

Through the complaints process I am receiving a credit of £35 (but not the £5 delivery charge) on the basis that I was not informed beforehand. But I still wanted to raise the question here of Virgin Media making charges for an upgrade not requested by me (and in fact resulting in us having to relocate our phone to a less convenient place). I appreciate there are costs to such upgrades, but when making changes which have not been requested by the customer, shouldn’t Virgin Media absorb the costs in overall customer charges? I hope VM management will reconsider this policy which spoils an otherwise good service.

4 REPLIES 4

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pedroi ,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with unexpected charges after your upgrade. We can understand the confusion caused and we want to help. We typically have a £5 delivery fee if the equipment is sent to your address https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/price-guides We do however offer free delivery via click and collect. We are however glad to see you were credited back and the issue itself has been resolved.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your sympathetic reply, but there are two issues that are unresolved which I would ask you please to pass on to Virgin Media management:

1) Making charges for delivery and activation of a new hub is understandable if it is an upgrade chosen by the customer, but surely it is unfair for a change required by VM and not requested by the customer; surely in such a case, the costs should be absorbed in overall customer charges?

2) Charges and options (e.g. for free delivery through click and collect) should be clearly included in information before there is agreement to go ahead with a change.

Thanks, Peter

Hi @pedroi 

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding this.

I am very sorry if the agent didn't mention the charge at the time or discuss whether this should be waived given the circumstances around this being required.

I am very sorry if the delivery charge was also not advised or the alterative options available. 

We are very sorry for upset and/or inconvenience that has been caused.

We really do appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback around this.

Please pop back to us should you have any further questions or concerns.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you for your reply, I hope you will be taking these issues to VM management and integrating them into your policies.

Peter