cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get through on the phone; password rejected each time.

Mike9299
Tuning in

To continue my contract, a 39% increase has been levied. On top of this (presumably), a further £9 (24%) will be levied in April. 

I've now tried three times to phone, both on 150 and the other number but get the same menus and a request to enter parts of my password. This is not recognised (yet IS for the community).

Why does one need a password entry to speak to someone? There's no security involved.

I cannot understand why there's such a swingeing increase on my tariff followed shortly by yet another. I wanted to discuss my options to reduce this phenomenal increase and as an octogenarian, find this 'devil and the deep blue sea' situation very unsettling,  exasperating, and unhealthy, esp. as I've been a customer for 13 odd years,

Thank you in anticipation

MAR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mike9299 wrote:

To continue my contract, a 39% increase has been levied. On top of this (presumably), a further £9 (24%) will be levied in April. 

I've now tried three times to phone, both on 150 and the other number but get the same menus and a request to enter parts of my password. This is not recognised (yet IS for the community).

Why does one need a password entry to speak to someone? There's no security involved.

I cannot understand why there's such a swingeing increase on my tariff followed shortly by yet another. I wanted to discuss my options to reduce this phenomenal increase and as an octogenarian, find this 'devil and the deep blue sea' situation very unsettling,  exasperating, and unhealthy, esp. as I've been a customer for 13 odd years,

MAR

Try the info provided by newapollo at message #2 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Forgot-my-telephone-password/m-p/52...

to update your telephone security password

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mike9299 wrote:

MAR

Try the info provided by newapollo at message #2 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Forgot-my-telephone-password/m-p/52...

to update your telephone security password

Thank you, Goslow,

From your helpful link and advice.  I was able to create (not change) a password etc. for Virgin telephone. I have since got through and sorted my package.

I HAD NO IDEA THAT A SEPARATE PASSWORD WAS REQUIRED FOR TELEPHONE BECAUSE I'D NEVER BEEN INFORMED ABOUT THIS UNUSUAL PROCEDURE, presumably introduced 3 or so years ago, as I had no trouble phoning before then.

May I ask, what is the difference between 'talk more anytime', which has been part of my package for many years, and 'chat anytime' which now supersedes it.  If there is none, why change? 

Appreciatively,

MAR

Hi MAR 👋 Welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about these difficulties getting through on the phone to discuss your package options. Sadly we don't support with package changes via the forum, but I can offer some help with additional information regarding calls plans. You can see whats included in these here 👉 010123_Everyday_Call_Charges_V1.pdf (virginmedia.com) to compare and contrast! I hope this helps. We regularly update the names and offers within our packages. It may be the case that there is little or no change, rather than just the name of the call plan but it would be best to check everything you use and are looking for is included ahead of making any package change! If you have specific questions you cant see the answers to via the link just let us know and we will do our best to answer. 

You would need to pass account security both by phone and via the community forum for additional support with this request. Changing package is an account holder only action so we would need to complete full account security with you (including via phone.) Really sorry to hear you were not aware of there being a unique password that you use via phone though! 

Please let us know if there is anything else you need help with and we will do our best to support you. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. All the best! 🌞

Molly

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi MAR

Talk More Anytime plan included calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers, however they  aren't included in the Anytime Chatter plan.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you, Molly T and Newapollo,

I was told by the lady who renewed my package that ALL 08 numbers were now excluded.  Having just received two letters (one from the NHS) asking me to (freephone) 0800, I'm now totally confused.  0845 and 0870 I can cope with but 0800 and 0808 numbers, e.g., are still widely used, it seems.

Which exclusion is it, may I ask?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mike9299 wrote:

Thank you, Molly T and Newapollo,

I was told by the lady who renewed my package that ALL 08 numbers were now excluded.  Having just received two letters (one from the NHS) asking me to (freephone) 0800, I'm now totally confused.  0845 and 0870 I can cope with but 0800 and 0808 numbers, e.g., are still widely used, it seems.

Which exclusion is it, may I ask?

080 numbers should be free to phone. Refer below

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/consumer-code-of-practice

084 and 087 are chargeable on your 'Anytime chatter' plan

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Mike9299 

0800 numbers are still free to call.

For any 0870 numbers use the following site to see if there's an alternative free rate number instead

https://www.saynoto0870.com/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Mike9299

Freephone numbers such as 0800 should still be free of charge to call. 

Apologies for any confusion caused. 

Please pop back to us if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide