Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unable to contact virgin to change my package

I am  single parent living on disability and signed up for virgin broadband late 2018. Last year when my deal period was up they were going to double the cost, which they explained at the beginning so no real issue with that in principal, but i could not afford the additional cost so rang up to cancel. I was then offered a different package at just a few pounds more than the one i was on which strangly included a phone line which i did not want but was told the cheapest deal was broadband and phone at 27 pounds per month while broadband only was over 30 so i signed on for another year with M50 broadband and phone at 27 per month.

few months later i got email saying they were upgrading me to M100 free of charge so i thought ok thanks and thought nothing more about it.

now my deal is over at the end of this month and they have just told ,me that if i do nothing they will auto renew my M100 package at 44 pounds per month, way more than i can afford to pay for internet amnd a phone line that has never had a phone plugged into it because i only use my mobile (difficult to move around so a fixed line is no use to me).

Thought ok call and see what they can do, after about 40 mins on hold the call dropped, tried again, same. tried again, same., went on internet and only contact option is a chat bot so started a chat, got to tell me what is wrong, wrote all the above and got the message that they are busy, covid, answer in 24 hours so i waited, after while the chat box closed.

next day, today, tried again, call, hold, drop, call hold, drop, chatbot busy, covid, 24 hours, some time later chat box closes. why is there no other way such as email to get in touch?

i cannot afford 44 pounds but do not want to lose my internet as it is how i talk with my doctors and therapist and have no way to get any answers from Vigin.

does anyone have any ideas on other ways to contact them or what i can do other than keep redailing every time it drops until either i finally get through or need to video call my doctors for treatment of my bleeding finger tips or should i just cancel my direct debit and go with a different supplier?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to contact virgin to change my package

Hi Oneway,

Unfortunately you need to contact VM directly as the Forum Team don't have access to enable them to change your package.

Cancelling your direct debit will I'm afraid cause more trouble than it's worth as Vm will continue to bill you and may affect your credit elsewhere.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of regrade  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days

You could try calling again(I realise it's a pain)  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 4 (Changes to your package) but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

You could also try retentions (the thinking of leaving us option) using the above methods, they can often give better deals when you re-negotaite.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

thanks for the heads up regarding cancelling my direct debit and for the helpfull info.

I finally managed to get through today but the best they would offer is 38 quid for a connection faster than i need with a phone i do not use and don't want which is still too much rather than the 28 quid M50 deal for new customers that would suit me fine so i suppose I will now need to look around and see what i can get then go through the hassle of sending their kit back and getting new kit installed. The laughable part is that the first thing the guy said is that he cannot give the same 28 quid deal that they are advertising because that is for new customers only, he knows it seems unfair but it is policy.

Shame Virgin did not sign up with the commitments to ofccom like BT, Sky and TalkTalk did that from March this year they will offer out of contract customers the same deals as new customers.

Virgin only comitment was they will carry out annual price reviews with their vulnerable customers to ensure they are on the best deal for their needs, providing automatic discounts where appropriate. Not sure what you need to do to qualify as vulnerable but obviously being a single parent living month to month on disability benefits does not qualify because they won't give me a deal or a discount that i can afford but are happy to give it to new customers.

sorry for the rant but it is just so frustrating they are forcing me to go through the hassle of switching but I suppose i will be better off in the long run switching now and not getting screwed over when my next contract ends.

thanks anyway,

Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Alan,

I'm not sure if you'll fit into the required criteria, this hasn't been introduced yet, it was announced in a VM press release on 26th August and is due to start in the Autumn.

VM launches-virgin-media-essential-broadband-plan-for-those-facing-financial-difficulty1 

Virgin Media has today announced a new broadband service targeted specifically at customers facing financial difficulty and uncertainty in these challenging times.

The broadband-only plan, called “Virgin Media Essential Broadband”, will be available to those receiving Universal Credit and will come with a speed of 15 Mbps and a fixed price of £15 per month, with no fixed-term contract length and no price changes while benefit payments are being received. The service will launch in the Autumn.

Available initially for existing Virgin Media customers, they will be able to take the new service by simply filling out an online form and providing proof of their Universal Credit status.

The introduction of this new product is the latest initiative from Virgin Media following previous proactive steps designed to help and support vulnerable customers..................

“Virgin Media Essential Broadband” operates on a 30 day rolling contract basis

If a customer stops receiving Universal Credit they will be able to continue taking the “Virgin Media Essential Broadband” service at £23 per month or move to another Virgin Media package.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Oneway and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the situation.

We do have the option above for essential broadband, if you're mid-contract you would need to call on 150/0345 454 1111 and when you get through to the billings team request to speak regarding collections who can either set up payment plans if you're in arears on the account or can also put you down to the basic package to lower the price to something you can afford. 

Thanks, Emily.