Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ultimate Flop!

Just to say that I've been with Virgin Media and Mobile for the last 3-4 years and yesterday I had to cancel my contract (8th Feb 2020).

Last contract was the VIP and now I see there is an Ultimate offered. I asked if I could change to the Ultimate and they wanted to charge me £112 per month. I asked if I could have the deal advertised - £89 per month and was told NO!. The best they could do was £112? I have SIM only deals, without a contract and they wanted to bring one into a contract for the £112.

I called again today, to be told that the Ultimate is a no-go and cannot be offered to me at any price? They now said, they can offer the VIP for 12 months at £103.50? I asked again about the Ultimate and was told NO, it is only available to NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY!

My contract expires on the 9th March 2020 and I now intend to leave! If only they would offer you an acceptable price going forward - without all these deals and different prices? It seems very poor customer retention to me with deals for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY!

My way forward now, would be to get NOW TV with calls, broadband and Sky Sports at £50 per month for 12 months.

Extremely disappointed with Virgin and will not recommend to anyone now. As a direct result of this, I intend to give back three SIM only deals (3 x £26.50) and go with 3 Mobile, £11 per month for 6 months and then £22 per month for the remainder. With 3 you can use your minutes abroad as well, not just Europe!

I will call Virgin once more, probably a couple of days before disconnection - but I don't expect much out of them?

Any advice from anyone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultimate Flop!

VIP at £103.50 IS a substantial discount (current price £135), & the best you are likely to get as an existing customer.

The Ultimate bundle is sold at a loss to get new customers, so they will not offer it to you for obvious reasons.

This is the way the market has always run thanks to the drive by HM Govt to get people switching providers (& actively encouraged by the telecom regulator in the process).

The situation changes later this year when providers will have to offer the best deals to all customers running out of contract. Expect all the big new customer deals to dissapear at the same time.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I know you toe the Virgin line, but it's not a SUBSTANTIAL discount at all? It's a punch in the mouth! I would like to swap to the Ultimate deal but being an existing customer STOPS me from doing so - at any price! Why am I offered £112 one day for Ultimate and £103.50 for VIP the next - stating that Ultimate cannot be offered to me at any cost? You are merely speaking to SALES persons that will sell at any costs to make good and earn commission.

I do not believe that Virgin operate at a loss. I think they rake it in from everywhere. If they did not, they would not be able to operate like they do.

I'm pleased to hear that finally, finally, the LAW - not their compassion from doing things right - but the LAW has to step in to STOP them ripping people off like myself! It will bring a level playing field to these rip-off companies and they'll have to work to win your business.

Excellent news I say - bring in good deals for everyone - existing customers also!! They're the ones that keep companies afloat after all!

I will call Virgin again because I think it depends on which day of the week it is and who you speak to? They ALL tell you different things!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am not towing any kind of line. This is industry standard practice & OFCOM has actively encouraged it to make their switching figures look good. It is the “must switch provider” culture that is to blame.

Now that the regulators have seen the error of their ways things will change, but the inevitable consequence is that PRICES WILL GO UP. So don’t go thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It isn’t.

The only other piece of advice. Talk to Retentions, not sales (use the thinking of leaving option). Sales are & always have been inconsistent with offers.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I just believe, if the law has to intervene, then there must be good to come for all of us. Especially, vulnerable people - who cannot fight for the right deal. One product, one price for all. If that means, higher prices initially, then so be it. At least you know you're not getting done. Prices will generally go up because of inflation, but will level as they become more competitive and technology becomes cheaper.

By the way, google Virgin Media profits - they will make you cry.

When I said speaking to, 'Sales', I did in fact speak to, 'Retentions'. I describe them as Sales, because of the patter they have and they will do their upmost to retain you. Hence, confusion with their pricing system and lots of different responses from them. One day I can have Ultimate for £112 and the next I cannot, but I can renew my existing contract for £103.50. New customers get the Ultimate at £89 (£135) and existing customers keep the 'old' technology - which is cheaper, having a slower connection for a price that is increasing above inflation year on year.

After this experience, I'm leaving Virgin Media and going elsewhere. Probably Now TV. I have ordered three (3) SIMS from Three (3) and they arrive tomorrow. I intend to ditch any association with Virgin Media. My contract expires on 9th March 2020, and I'm NOT calling them again! I'm not saying I will never have anything to do with them again, but at least next time, I'll be a NEW customer!

0 Kudos